Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you know about ICS?

tag
OroroMunroe
Contributor

What do you know about ICS?

I recently opened a new credit card account. When checking my credit report, I saw the new account listed as closed. When I inquired about the account, I was told there's an ICS issue. My account is blocked. I am happily gardening now, and I had not plans on using the card anytime soon. Any ICS stories? What happened, and how was the issue resolved? Thanks for reading! 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: What do you know about ICS?

@OroroMunroe wrote:

I recently opened a new credit card account. When checking my credit report, I saw the new account listed as closed. When I inquired about the account, I was told there's an ICS issue. My account is blocked. I am happily gardening now, and I had not plans on using the card anytime soon. Any ICS stories? What happened, and how was the issue resolved? Thanks for reading! 

I hate ICS and I LOCK MINE!

you have to mail in request.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is ICS? Is it similar to IDA/Sagestream and LexisNexis?

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 - what does ICS stand for, what do they do, and who are they?

Message 4 of 24
OroroMunroe
Contributor

I'm not quite sure. I'm waiting for a callback with a definitive answer. After Googling, the only relevant ICS reference I found has to do with Visa's Issurers Clearinghouse Service, but I'm not sure. I was hoping someone in the community would know. 

Message 5 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 - what does ICS stand for, what do they do, and who are they?

i thought they were the same or the company name just changed or something.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OroroMunroe wrote:

I'm not quite sure. I'm waiting for a callback with a definitive answer. After Googling, the only relevant ICS reference I found has to do with Visa's Issurers Clearinghouse Service, but I'm not sure. I was hoping someone in the community would know. 

Here's what I found:

"Issuers' Clearinghouse Service (ICS)

"A bank card application verification system shared by Visa with MasterCard. ICS verifies an applicant's address, phone and Social Security numbers, and whether he or she has a history of excessive applications or credit card fraud or abuse. ICS is a mandated service for U.S. card issuers that are Visa members. "

So if the lender denied you because of some issue with ICS, you need to find out what info about you is not matching. Have you ever had a problem with identity theft?

Message 7 of 24
OroroMunroe
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OroroMunroe wrote:

Here's what I found:

"Issuers' Clearinghouse Service (ICS)

"A bank card application verification system shared by Visa with MasterCard. ICS verifies an applicant's address, phone and Social Security numbers, and whether he or she has a history of excessive applications or credit card fraud or abuse. ICS is a mandated service for U.S. card issuers that are Visa members. "

So if the lender denied you because of some issue with ICS, you need to find out what info about you is not matching. Have you ever had a problem with identity theft?

Thanks for the information. No, I have never had an issue with identity theft. My information has been compromised by cell carrier and other places, but that has not resulted in any issues that I'm aware of. I have applied for a number of accounts in the past two years (similar to others on the board), so I'm not sure why that would trigger anything. 

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OroroMunroe wrote:

Thanks for the information. No, I have never had an issue with identity theft. My information has been compromised by cell carrier and other places, but that has not resulted in any issues that I'm aware of. I have applied for a number of accounts in the past two years (similar to others on the board), so I'm not sure why that would trigger anything. 

How many accounts have you app'd for? I've app'd for 20+ just in the last 2 years, and I won't even begin to count the number of apps I've done throughout my life that were denied. From a little research, it appears that ICS keeps track of every app that we do - forever - this is similar to ARS. Although I wonder what they consider "excessive"?

Any chance you simply entered some of your info wrong on the app?

Message 9 of 24
OroroMunroe
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OroroMunroe wrote:

How many accounts have you app'd for? I've app'd for 20+ just in the last 2 years, and I won't even begin to count the number of apps I've done throughout my life that were denied. From a little research, it appears that ICS keeps track of every app that we do - forever - this is similar to ARS. Although I wonder what they consider "excessive"?

Any chance you simply entered some of your info wrong on the app?

If we are talking total accounts (store cards and bank cards), I've applied for maybe 20 or so in the past two years. I'm wondering how this issue will be resolved. Will I lose the new account? Will I lose my old accounts? The whole thing has me concerned. I also wonder about their definition of excessive. What does it matter if a person pays the bills? 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.