cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if Chase is highest in aggregate limits??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if Chase is highest in aggregate limits??

I've heard that Chase doesn't like to be the lender that gives you the highest limits, but has anyone had experience with Chase giving them the highest aggregate limit?

In other words, does the sum of all your Chase limits matter, or is it just a single limit? I figure it's the sum of all the credit Chase lends to you but I wanted to know if there were any datapoints out there. I'm looking to apply for the CSP in December (Already have the CFU/Freedom), and Chase will be my second highest lender if I'm approved.

34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What if Chase is highest in aggregate limits??

There are people out there that have 3-4 Chase cards and maybe only 1 other card.  Such a person by default would likely have higher overall limits between their Chase cards compared to their 1 lone non-Chase card.

I have 8 total credit cards, 2 of which are through Chase.  In ranking my cards from the highest credit limit to the lowest, my Chase cards come in at #5 and #6 on the list.  The sum of #5 and #6 would only beat out #4, but still be less than #1 - #3.

Message 2 of 35
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Whats an aggregate? Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 35
Malcono
Regular Contributor

Chase definitely looks at your total exposure with them. 

But if you have shown responsible use with them, they don't mind being the lender with the highest limits.

Total Credit: $107,000Utilization: 1%AAoA: 2yrs, 4mthsAoOA: 3yrs, 1mthAoYA: 1yrs, 10mthsBaddies: 0

Message 4 of 35
SBR249
Established Contributor

I think the general consensus is that Chase doesn't like to the be the first lender that gives you a high limit card. But that's not necessarily the same thing as saying that Chase doesn't like to be the top of the stack once you've got your foot in the door or that Chase is shy about having large exposures to people that are creditworthy. Chase just doesn't want to be the first one to put its neck on the line for an unknown person. 

Message 5 of 35
redpat
Senior Contributor

Chase is the highest in the total aggregate of my CLs 50k CSR and 40K Ink+, tied for second 40k Hilton and 40k Citi exec last place Barclay AA 16k, lol four personal cards.  I don't include POT on four Amex charges.

No what ifs here.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is discusson that Chase will only give limits that are 50 to 60% of your income, so if you income is significantly high, it would make sense for that to occur.  However, since I am still a student, my highest aggregate is AMEX, they even gave me a $25k limit on my SPG biz upon approval which i quickly reduced to $10k to avoid FA. 

so with that, it's YMMV

Message 7 of 35
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are people out there that have 3-4 Chase cards and maybe only 1 other card.  Such a person by default would likely have higher overall limits between their Chase cards compared to their 1 lone non-Chase card.

I have 8 total credit cards, 2 of which are through Chase.  In ranking my cards from the highest credit limit to the lowest, my Chase cards come in at #5 and #6 on the list.  The sum of #5 and #6 would only beat out #4, but still be less than #1 - #3.

I sound like one of these people. I have two Chase cards with a total limit of $100,000, a Citi card with a limit of $17,000 and an American Express charge card. That means that not only is Chase my highest limit, it's my highest aggregate by bank and is so by a factor of nearly 6.

No sir, Chase absolutely loves being the bank who gives me the highest limits and the highest aggregate limits.

Message 8 of 35
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Chase has been my highest in aggregate limits for years and hasn’t seemed to mind. I currently have around 100k with Chase.

AmEx isn’t far behind, but I also apportion much more of my total AmEx exposure to business cards than I do with Chase. As a result, my applications for Chase’s personal cards would likely only consider the 30k personal card (BCE) rather than the 90k+ in limits I actually have with AmEx. That hasn’t been an issue so far.

Message 9 of 35
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is discusson that Chase will only give limits that are 50 to 60% of your income, so if you income is significantly high, it would make sense for that to occur.  However, since I am still a student, my highest aggregate is AMEX, they even gave me a $25k limit on my SPG biz upon approval which i quickly reduced to $10k to avoid FA. 

so with that, it's YMMV

There are also cases where Chase gives much more than 50-60% of reported income as well. I'm such a case: I'm already over that mark and I am confident that if I applied for another card from them today they'd throw another $20,000-$30,000 my way in a heartbeat.

I'll also emphasize reported because I intentionally underreport my income to banks, including Chase. What I don't know is if their system is able to figure out I'm sandbagging them and adjust their metrics to be more in line with what they believe I actually make.

The common theme in all of these Chase threads is that people are trying to analyze them the same way they do American Express, Capital One, or Discover. They search for some repeatable (and exploitable) algorithm such as the 3x CLI from American Express that will allow them to min/max their Chase profile. The one constant to date is that such an algorithm does not exist with Chase. Aside from 5/24, there are no hard and fast rules - they won't touch some people while they'll be someone else's first card. They won't give so much as a $1,000 CL to one person while showering another person with a similar profile with tens or hundreds of thousands in CL. Some get auto-CLIs with heavy spend; others don't. Some get approved with a recent BK, others never get approved.

Someday someone might crack the secret sauce, though I expect that the day after that Chase will change things up to throw everyone off again.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.