cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the REAL difference between MasterCard and Visa?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the REAL difference between MasterCard and Visa?

If you had to choose one or the other, which one would you choose and why?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the REAL difference between MasterCard and Visa?

Personally, for me there is no difference.  I do have more Visa cards than Mastercards, but I have never noticed a difference. 

But then I'm not one to care about the extra benefits on a card, like concierge etc, so maybe there is a difference there.  

Message 2 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Nothing?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

if i could have only one card i'd probably choose Visa which is more widely accepted (though not by a huge margin) and is also more amenable than MC if you have a dispute.
Message Edited by score_building on 12-10-2008 11:51 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 7
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

@score_building wrote:
if i could have only one card i'd probably choose Visa which is more widely accepted than MC (though not by a huge margin).  Otherwise, no notable difference i can think of-

Really?  Do you mean outside the U.S.?

As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 5 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

Accepted by merchants at over eight million locations in over 64 countries, VISA is reportedly the most widely accepted card in the world.

the main differences are as follows: VISA is the most widely accepted form of payment, with Mastercard quickly closing the gap. American Express and Discover are still not as widely accepted by many merchants. many American Express cards require you to pay your balance in full each month. however, when it comes to disputing a charge, you will almost always have better luck with AMEX than you ever would with VISA/Mastercard. Visa and Mastercard have 16 digit account numbers.

When it comes to VISA vs Mastercard, one of the only differences you need to be concerned about are how they handle disputes and between the two, Mastercard is much stricter. Visa will look at reasonableness in making its decision, Mastercard not so much.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.