cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Best Way to CANCEL Bank of America Credit Card?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

What's Best Way to CANCEL Bank of America Credit Card?

So, I absolutely hate BOA after they did me dirty years ago, and have wanted to cancel my credit card with them for years, but held onto it as I did not want to adversely affect my score, but I'm finally ready to dump them and am wondering the best way to go about it, since I've never actually closed a cc. Can I do it online, or is it something that you absolutely should do over the phone? Or should it be done in writing?  And also, are there any things I need to ask to be done and look out for during the process?

Long story short, this is my oldest credit card...the very 1st cc I've ever had, that I got when I was a teenager. The card had no Annual Fee, a $5000 cl and was owned by a different bank. Approximately 6 yeas ago or so, Bank of America bought the bank (which I never had a problem with). I had a balance very close to the limit and paid it down to zero in 1 payment. BOA, instead of rewarding me, thanking me, or increasing my credit limit, instead immediately REDUCED my cl to $700 and tacked on a $59 AF.

As you can imagine, I was outraged. I contacted them at the time and they refused to raise my limit back and refused to remove the AF. Their only "solution" was for me to apply for another card. I vowed to never use that card again, and to never do business with Bank of America again, and I indeed haven't charged 1 single penny on that card since then. The only charge that has been going on that card since then, is the $59 AF every year, that I pay immediately.

To add insult to injury, I just found the current website application for the card, and it clearly states that there is NO ANNUAL FEE. I am beyond done with Bank of America's terrible practices, and am ready to get rid of them and this card if they still won't remove the fee. I no longer care about it being my oldest card. It's a complete waste and I'm tired of throwing $59/yr down the drain to this horrible company.

Again, what's the best process to cancel it?

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's Best Way to CANCEL Bank of America Credit Card?

I don't think they have a quick online messaging system like other banks, so you'll have to call customer service

Customer service can close the account for you right then

Message 2 of 27
barca
Regular Contributor

close this credit card ASAP.

you have very low credit line ($700)

To add insult to injury - they charge you $59 annual fee.

call thier customer service (check phone number online or back of your credit card) and close it.

Bank of america has been nice to some other people including me, but in your case - get out of the relationship.

Message 3 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

So, I absolutely hate BOA after they did me dirty years ago, and have wanted to cancel my credit card with them for years, but held onto it as I did not want to adversely affect my score, but I'm finally ready to dump them and am wondering the best way to go about it, since I've never actually closed a cc. Can I do it online, or is it something that you absolutely should do over the phone? Or should it be done in writing?  And also, are there any things I need to ask to be done and look out for during the process?

Long story short, this is my oldest credit card...the very 1st cc I've ever had, that I got when I was a teenager. The card had no Annual Fee, a $5000 cl and was owned by a different bank. Approximately 6 yeas ago or so, Bank of America bought the bank (which I never had a problem with). I had a balance very close to the limit and paid it down to zero in 1 payment. BOA, instead of rewarding me, thanking me, or increasing my credit limit, instead immediately REDUCED my cl to $700 and tacked on a $59 AF.

As you can imagine, I was outraged. I contacted them at the time and they refused to raise my limit back and refused to remove the AF. Their only "solution" was for me to apply for another card. I vowed to never use that card again, and to never do business with Bank of America again, and I indeed haven't charged 1 single penny on that card since then. The only charge that has been going on that card since then, is the $59 AF every year, that I pay immediately.

To add insult to injury, I just found the current website application for the card, and it clearly states that there is NO ANNUAL FEE. I am beyond done with Bank of America's terrible practices, and am ready to get rid of them and this card if they still won't remove the fee. I no longer care about it being my oldest card. It's a complete waste and I'm tired of throwing $59/yr down the drain to this horrible company.

Sorry to read about your experience, we all have a lender we dont like, loathe, or whatever adjective  you want to insertSmiley Wink. In a way they already won when you decided to pay the AF and as per any institution, you and I are just numbers so relationship doesnt really exist.

In my humble opinuon, just call in and request a card closure. Please remember its not the other person's fault they are just  the csr so getting agitated with them , if you were to do so, does anyone any good. Be polite and concise,  you would like to close your card, no need to hash up backstory. If they ask why  just tell them you dont want to pay an AF anymore. 1 call and you can move on with your credit lifeSmiley Wink

Message 4 of 27
Repairman
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

Sorry to read about your experience, we all have a lender we dont like, loathe, or whatever adjective  you want to insertSmiley Wink. In a way they already won when you decided to pay the AF and as per any institution, you and I are just numbers so relationship doesnt really exist.

In my humble opinuon, just call in and request a card closure. Please remember its not the other person's fault they are just  the csr so getting agitated with them , if you were to do so, does anyone any good. Be polite and concise,  you would like to close your card, no need to hash up backstory. If they ask why  just tell them you dont want to pay an AF anymore. 1 call and you can move on with your credit lifeSmiley Wink

Thanks. Yes I was over the outward outrage years ago, so there won't be any yelling or screaming or agitation. I will first again ask to have the AF removed and then I will tell them, when asked why I'm closing it's because they eliminated most of my credit line to a ridiculously low amount and tacked on an Annual Fee to a card that their own website says does not have one. 

Message 5 of 27
Repairman
Established Contributor

@barca wrote:

call thier customer service (check phone number online or back of your credit card) and close it.

Bank of america has been nice to some other people including me, but in your case - get out of the relationship.

Yes. I have never had a cl so low, which makes it so ridiculous....and I get that because I paid my balance? Anyway, I will give them a call tomorrow.

Message 6 of 27
barca
Regular Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@barca wrote:

Yes. I have never had a cl so low, which makes it so ridiculous....and I get that because I paid my balance? Anyway, I will give them a call tomorrow.

Bank of America is actually very generous with credit limit.

What I suspect happened in your case is becuase it came from another company - they are not very comfortable with it

The irony is that - if you apply for a new BOA credit card , you will most likely get a very good high limit.

How good is your score?

Message 7 of 27
Repairman
Established Contributor

@barca wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

@barca wrote:

Bank of America is actually very generous with credit limit.

What I suspect happened in your case is becuase it came from another company - they are not very comfortable with it

The irony is that - if you apply for a new BOA credit card , you will most likely get a very good high limit.

How good is your score?

I don't doubt it. As I said, they even suggested to me at the time to apply for another card when I asked for a higher limit. Which as the consumer, was not practical to me being I had the age on this card for so long. It just makes no sense to me since I have no negatives on the very long history of the card and they still offer the card to new applicants. At the time they reduced my limit to $700 I had an AMEX sitting at a $12,000 cl, and that amount has steadily grown even larger through regular, un-requested auto increases.

right now EQ 767, TU 728, EX 765

Message 8 of 27
barca
Regular Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

I don't doubt it. As I said, they even suggested to me at the time to apply for another card when I asked for a higher limit. Which as the consumer, was not practical to me being I had the age on this card for so long. It just makes no sense to me since I have no negatives on the very long history of the card and they still offer the card to new applicants. At the time they reduced my limit to $700 I had an AMEX sitting at a $12,000 cl, and that amount has steadily grown even larger through regular, un-requested auto increases.

yea, very annoying.

I think it was a policy decision. 

Anyone that have the existing card from previous company - we will give him/her hard time.

but if you get the card from us, we will be nice 

Dont be angry about it, it most likely affected everyone that had that card and migrated from the previous company to BOA.

it was a policy decision you had no control over.

becuase when the card was issued originally, the underwriting was done by previous company and BOA don't know what standard was used

hence - the reason for lowering credit and basically trying to force you to close it

Message 9 of 27
Repairman
Established Contributor

@barca wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

yea, very annoying.

I think it was a policy decision. 

Anyone that have the existing card from previous company - we will give him/her hard time.

but if you get the card from us, we will be nice 

Dont be angry about it, it most likely affected everyone that had that card and migrated from the previous company to BOA.

it was a policy decision you had no control over.

becuase when the card was issued originally, the underwriting was done by previous company and BOA don't know what standard was used

hence - the reason for lowering credit and basically trying to force you to close it

True. But in that case, they could have just closed the card...that would have been better than what they did. Well, their bad policy decision suceeded and I in turn ended up giving my business to Capital One, Discover, Goldman Sahcs, Barclay, and even more to American Express.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.