cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so Bad about COMENITY?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: AJC needs to start a thread......What's so Bad about COMENITY?

I'm just waiting for them to shut down my PlayStation card when it switches over.

Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU is a bit of a hassle with bill pay. When sending from my own bank, they had to mail it to NFCU because they didn't take electronic payments. There is lots to like about NFCU when it comes to credit but not as much with banking. 

Also, NFCU should have taken responsibility for the late payment and worked it out with Comenity as long as you had it scheduled within NFCU's stated timeframe. I wouldn't slam Comenity for that one. 

Message 22 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU is a bit of a hassle with bill pay. When sending from my own bank, they had to mail it to NFCU because they didn't take electronic payments. There is lots to like about NFCU when it comes to credit but not as much with banking. 

Also, NFCU should have taken responsibility for the late payment and worked it out with Comenity as long as you had it scheduled within NFCU's stated timeframe. I wouldn't slam Comenity for that one. 

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis? Smiley LOL

Message 23 of 37
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU sent the paper check 4 days prior to the billing date. First-class mail takes 3 days to at most to get from point a to point b in CONUS with 4 days to and from rural post offices. Comenity took 8 days from the due date to post the check. 12 days... twelve days! I hold Comentiy responsible, not NFCU. 

I have all of my accounts on bill pay with NFCU. After the Comenity fiasco, I put all of my accounts on auto-pay for the minimum payment to avoid future issues. 

In the future, with new accounts, I will be more thorough investigating setting up payments so my Comenity experience does not repeat itself. 

I have a copy of the NFCU check with the date and it plainly shows the check was cut 4 days prior to the account due date. Comenity could not explain why it took them 12 days to post the check. Comenity's shotgun wedding with me ended in a Mexican divorce. I am glad to have cut ties with them and I am sure they could care less that I closed my account. 

I learned my lesson and will apply that lesson going forward in managing my finances.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Medic981 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU sent the paper check 4 days prior to the billing date. First-class mail takes 3 days to at most to get from point a to point b in CONUS with 4 days to and from rural post offices. Comenity took 8 days from the due date to post the check. 12 days... twelve days! I hold Comentiy responsible, not NFCU. 

I have all of my accounts on bill pay with NFCU. After the Comenity fiasco, I put all of my accounts on auto-pay for the minimum payment to avoid future issues. 

In the future, with new accounts, I will be more thorough investigating setting up payments so my Comenity experience does not repeat itself. 

I have a copy of the NFCU check with the date and it plainly shows the check was cut 4 days prior to the account due date. Comenity could not explain why it took them 12 days to post the check. Comenity's shotgun wedding with me ended in a Mexican divorce. I am glad to have cut ties with them and I am sure they could care less that I closed my account. 

I learned my lesson and will apply that lesson going forward in managing my finances.

It took NFCU quite a few days to process the check my bank sent them as well. All that has to happen is NFCU calls Comenity and tells them what day they mailed the check. Done deal. 

I now make sure to do pull with my NFCU accounts instead of using my bank's bill pay. It's certainly not just Comenity that takes awhile to process check in mail payments is my point. 

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis? Smiley LOL

I used my bank's bill pay service to schedule an electronic payment to my NFCU card and it ended up getting mailed because NFCU isn't set up to take electronic payments. I actually just checked and my bank still would have to mail a check so it wasn't a fluke. 

Message 26 of 37
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: What's so Bad about COMENITY?

@PutThatMoneyOnTheTable wrote:
I curious to know because informed delivery shows that my Comenity BJ's M/C is in the mailbox. What's so bad about comenity that folks here won't touch them with a 10 ft pole?

I had a disdain for them even before I got on My Fico forums.  The comments here have only reinforced that feeling.  Part of it just has to do with frustration with retail store cards in general over many decades of credit.  And Commentity is huge on store cards.  In particular, most recently DW had two of their cards (Coldwater Creek and J.Jill) which I became somewhat involved in helping her manage.  They have since been closed at my urging.  I just see them as predatory, moreso than big bank cards.  My feeling is that they take advantage of people (including DW) who are enticed by potential rewards and "SALES", but then quickly overspend their budget and end up over their heads in high fees and exorbitant interest charges.   The AA our members describe is just symptomatic of the shoddy underwriting they apparently practice in the first place in their effort to add new victims.  Who me?  Cynical? Smiley Tongue  Lol ... Perhaps ... 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 27 of 37
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Putthatmoneyonthetable

Hmmm so you ask the question after the card is in the mail 😂🤣😆

Every single CC has somebody that wouldn’t touch any specific CC with a 10 ft pole. It’s life. You will get a gazillion reasons why, and at the end of the day, they all relate back to YMMV.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 28 of 37
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Just don't trust them; they will return the favor....then you should be okay; but don't hold your breath. 

Smiley MadSmiley Very Happy They're like thatSmiley Very HappySmiley Madyou'll be like that.  

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 29 of 37
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
Putthatmoneyonthetable

Hmmm so you ask the question after the card is in the mail 😂🤣😆

Hmmmmmmm..............Now that you mentioned it.vector-happy-lol-guy-meme-face-any-design-eps-77213457.jpg

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.