cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What scores are needed for Chase Freedom Unlimited, Flex and Citi Double Cash? Which to go for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What scores are needed for Chase Freedom Unlimited, Flex and Citi Double Cash? Which to go for?

Hi All,

Looking to add a Visa.  Some of these cards have a nice intro APR that I want to take advantage of.

Trying to figure out the differences are and what scores are needed for each of these cards?

For Chase , I did the comparison - not much of a difference between the two that I could see.

Citi - similar rewards but no intro APR - only on balance transfers.

Thoughts on these cards or similar?

I use my Barclays Jetblue card (8k available credit)for everything for all the points but need/want to add another card to continue building my credit and cancel my secred card. I pay all in full each month.

secured $1500 and unsecured $400, Barclay 8k

EX -715, EQ -725, TU -724

12 REPLIES 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What scores are needed for Chase Freedom Unlimited, Flex and Citi Double Cash? Which to go for?

Hello @Anonymous and welcome to the forums.

If the scores listed in your signature are FICO, then they would appear to be in line with any Chase CCs.  That said Chase uses their own FICO score version (CARS) for UW.

Have you tried their pre-qualification tool?  Do you currently have any Chase products?  How many accounts have you opened in the past 24 months?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What scores are needed for Chase Freedom Unlimited, Flex and Citi Double Cash? Which to go for?

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes Fico scores.

I did apply for prequalified and received this: We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time.

2 unsecured in the last 12 months and 1 secured in the last 36 months, so I should be good for the 5/24 rule. Nothing from Chase.

What is this accronym?  "version (CARS) for UW."

What aout Citi?

so, just did a "customized offer" for Bank of America and it came back with a few of their cards

Bank of America® visa Cash Rewards, travel credit card - bot not sure if their customized offers are same as prequal?

Message 3 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes Fico scores.

I did apply for prequalified and received this: We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time.

2 unsecured in the last 12 months and 1 secured in the last 36 months, so I should be good for the 5/24 rule. Nothing from Chase.

What is this accronym?  "version (CARS) for UW."

What aout Citi?

so, just did a "customized offer" for Bank of America and it came back with a few of their cards

Bank of America® visa Cash Rewards, travel credit card - bot not sure if their customized offers are same as prequal?

CARS = Credit Acquisition Risk Score - Chase's proprietary FICO version.

Are you opted-in to receive prescreened offers?  

As far as BoA customized results, nothing but marketing so pay no attention to those as they're not true pre-qualified offers.

I suppose the question would be, other than an "in" with any lender, are you looking to maximize cashback, specific benefits, a points ecosystem or...?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I am opted in. I get some other offers.

Thanks for the info on BOA and their marketing.

Maximize the 0% pre-qualify with a Visa.

I need to make some bigger purchases (non holiday related) so am thinking of taking advantage of the intro apr.

Message 5 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Trying to figure out the differences are and what scores are needed for each of these cards?

For Chase , I did the comparison - not much of a difference between the two that I could see.

Citi - similar rewards but no intro APR - only on balance transfers.

Thoughts on these cards or similar?

All three of those have very different reward structures.  Citi Double Cash gives you 2% across the board; 1% when you charge and 1% when you pay.  Chase Freedom Unlimited earns 1.5% back across the board, 5% on travel purchases through the Chase portal, 3% on restaurants and drugstores, and a signup bonus that includes 5% on up to $12,000 in groceries the first year.  Chase Freedom Flex earns 1% across the board, 5% on up to $1500 in rotating categories each quarter, 5% on travel purchases through the Chase portal, 3% on restaurants and drugstores, and a signup bonus that includes 5% on up to $12,000 in groceries the first year.

All three cards can also be paired with annual fee cards in the same family to increase the value of those earnings when combined with the points on those cards.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.

What about my scores for these cards?

Cards with 0% apr, with my scores?

Message 7 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Your scores are in a range that may support approval for those cards, but approvals and the terms of them are about much more than scores alone.  I would narrow it down to the types of cards you want, preferably long term, before continuing on.  There are at least dozens of cards that come with a 0% introductory APR.  If this is a large purchase (or purchases) you plan to make, you may want to err on the side of caution of lenders who are more likely to issue larger starting lines although that may be total guesswork with limited revolving history.

Do you have any derogatory information on your reports?  No other credit accounts besides those 3 cards?  Are you eligible for Navy Federal membership?

Message 8 of 13
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Another really good VISA card to consider is the BBVA ClearPoints. Th try have an online prequal tool that shows what your starting limit and APR will be and it is solid. I consider it a better card overall than any of the others you have listed because it has a uncapped 3% and 2% categories that you can choose. I have the 3% category set as my bills and utilities (which includes all utilities (electricity, water, trash p/u,internet/cable, gas), car insurance, cell phone bills) and it yields more card cash back than any other single card I have. 

They also have flat 2% card, but you have to maintain a BBVA checking account with a direct deposit to get the 2%. It's a flat 1.5% card otherwise. 

Here's the link if you want to see if you prequalify. 

https://online.bbvausa.com/apply/credit-card-prequal?channelCode=4&channelMediumCode=6&channelServic...Smiley Surprised

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $608,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 5/31/24- $21,590.43
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deragatory from 4.5 years ago, mortgage payment. Everything on time since then. Only those 3  CC's

Also have a GM car loan for 3 years - paid on time.

but now need to clean up this cap one mess. ( started other thread about this)  

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.