Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I say when making a recon call? GEMB specific

tag
TanterBeans
New Contributor

What should I say when making a recon call? GEMB specific

Calling all wiser ones, I'm fairly new here and didn't even know you could make a recon call until a few weeks ago~!!

I applied for a Sam's Club card and got the "can not refer" at this time message at the counter.  Called a backdoor number a few days later and they said they were still considering it and haven't made a decision yet.  Received a letter in the mail yesterday and I was declined Smiley Sad

Here are the reasons:

High Ratio of Revolving Accts Opened last year to all revolving accts Very true - I've began rebuilding and opened a Amazon, Victoria's Secret, and Cap 1 card since Jan 2011.

Accounts in collections or 60 days past due or adverse public records.

I have 1 account in collection from about 6 months ago and it's a medical bill for $159 that I've been fighting to get our insurance to pay! *I'm in the right on this one*.  However, have 2 charge-offs from 2007 on a first premier card and a rewards 66 card (total less than $1000)

Sum of credit limits across all open revolving accounts too low.  Unfortunately it's true - have very low credit limits ranging from $300 - $950 on my cards.

However, I wasted an inquiry on Sam's Club so I'd like to at least TRY and call them for a recon???   I know the obvious what I should say "please reconsider, I've been responsible on all my cards, etc."  What else? Help? Any tips? advice?  I REALLY want this card as I actually shop there all the time.  I generally PIF my cards every month.  I'd be good to it...  Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DI
Super Contributor

Re: What should I say when making a recon call? GEMB specific

@TanterBeans wrote:

Calling all wiser ones, I'm fairly new here and didn't even know you could make a recon call until a few weeks ago~!!

I applied for a Sam's Club card and got the "can not refer" at this time message at the counter.  Called a backdoor number a few days later and they said they were still considering it and haven't made a decision yet.  Received a letter in the mail yesterday and I was declined Smiley Sad

Here are the reasons:

High Ratio of Revolving Accts Opened last year to all revolving accts Very true - I've began rebuilding and opened a Amazon, Victoria's Secret, and Cap 1 card since Jan 2011.

Accounts in collections or 60 days past due or adverse public records.

I have 1 account in collection from about 6 months ago and it's a medical bill for $159 that I've been fighting to get our insurance to pay! *I'm in the right on this one*.  However, have 2 charge-offs from 2007 on a first premier card and a rewards 66 card (total less than $1000)

Sum of credit limits across all open revolving accounts too low.  Unfortunately it's true - have very low credit limits ranging from $300 - $950 on my cards.

However, I wasted an inquiry on Sam's Club so I'd like to at least TRY and call them for a recon???   I know the obvious what I should say "please reconsider, I've been responsible on all my cards, etc."  What else? Help? Any tips? advice?  I REALLY want this card as I actually shop there all the time.  I generally PIF my cards every month.  I'd be good to it...  Smiley Wink

Highlighted in red is the kicker.  With multiple charge-off accounts,  getting approved after a recon is highly unlikely.  It won'thurt to ask anyway, but don't expect a yes answer.  If they decline you after the recon, work on cleaning up your credit a bit more before apping for other cards.  Good luck and thanks for your post!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.