Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to App for another Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to App for another Capital One

@Anonymous wrote:

Never. Capital one credit cards are starter cards, there's not much point in getting more than one as it's the same benefits. Apply for a different card issuer.

are you trolling? lol. i don't understand where you get that "generalization"

Message 11 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

So i can combine them...Higher limit. 

Message 12 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

i guess. i wouldn't say it's worth the triple HP, effect on AAoA and a new trade line to combine $300-$1,000 though when, in about 6 months, you could probably get a $10k venture.
Message 13 of 53
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Never. Capital one credit cards are starter cards, there's not much point in getting more than one as it's the same benefits. Apply for a different card issuer.

@Last July, I got approved for not one but 2 - each @ $50,000 - Venture and QS (12.9% APR).  Can you explain your logic on how these would be starter cards?

Now, for someone who is starting out in their credit journey, I can see that maybe a secured or Platinum options would be on the starting front and for others perhaps expanding their portfolio to a QS1 (or similar).  Capital One, in general, offers a wide array of products that are not necessarily "starter cards".

Message 14 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ agreed. they probably have some of the most diversity out of many lenders (except they don't offer "prestigious" cards but they're still respectable).
Message 15 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

They give small limits. Compare capital one credit lines compared to other rewards cards on this website, they're mostly considerably smaller. And also not much point in getting 2 cards from issuer and cancelling 1, that hurts your credit history and score. Only venture gives higher limits but it has an annual fee and not great rewards. There's much better cards out there, chase, discover, etc.

Message 16 of 53
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

So i can combine them...Higher limit. 

I don't have to share or even understand somebody's goal to respect it, but just a friendly word of advice on reaching your goal is to give some thought to the words of wisdom here... there's quite a bit of it.  Smiley Wink

My contribution (if I can be so bold to include myself in that group) would be to simply add that if you choose to slow down a bit, you'll likely get the high limits you want, but on better terms.  To me, having a low APR/no AF is actually more valuable than having a high-limit card, anyway - but that's just me; I realize our goals might not be aligned.  That's OK though, since the two aren't mutually exclusive - you can have both!

What I'm trying to say is that you might be able to keep accumulating Capital One accounts and you might be able to quickly get your $25k card... but if you'll take your time and let the dust settle a bit, you'll get a better rate and will likely be happier in the end.

No judgement either way, though, and good luck whatever you decide...   Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

so FinStar's $50k QS is smaller than other banks would issue? he'd get more from chase, discover, etc? highly doubt that.

and sure, the getting multiples and cancelling is just a game people play to get $30k+ CLs when they have sub 700 scores because cap1 will allow it but it doesn't hurt your credit THAT bad. AAoA is only 15% of the fico. nothing major.
Message 18 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Last July, I got approved for not one but 2 - each @ $50,000 - Venture and QS (12.9% APR).  Can you explain your logic on how these would be starter cards?

Now, for someone who is starting out in their credit journey, I can see that maybe a secured or Platinum options would be on the starting front and for others perhaps expanding their portfolio to a QS1 (or similar).  Capital One, in general, offers a wide array of products that are not necessarily "starter cards".

Look at OP's credit score and denial for Capital One Platinum. S/he is not going to getting anything except small limits from Capital One for many years, maybe even 10s of years, but s/he could get higher limit cards elsewhere.

Message 19 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

it won't be 10 years and probably not "many" either. i definitely advise not to play with the platinum game if you want higher CLs because i feel like they kind of hold that against you in some cases (not proven, just my philosophy based on what i sometimes see and had happen to me)
i couldn't get anything good with them when i had a platinum but 4 months after i closed it i got a $10k venture instant approval so it doesn't take long. to this day i haven't gotten an instant of above $5k. i have to get CLIs
Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.