Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to ask Barclay for my first CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to ask Barclay for my first CLI

I opened a Luxury card with Barclays in 2/2017. In 9/2017 I called and asked for a CLI the rep said they have to do a hard pull, I agreed, they raised my line from $10K to $25K, but its not inline with my Bank of America and Capital one cards. The only thing I dont like is the high annual fee but I agreed to it when I opened the card $495 a year OUCH. I was told they go by income on this card and not just FICO. You would think for this high annual fee they would just go by your FICO but no.

My fico scores are 801 EX, 803 EQ, and 821 at TU

Message 11 of 16
negg
Frequent Contributor

@raisemysc0re wrote:

Nice increase...

Were they mostly auto CLIs or did you initiate them yourself?

I've never asked for Cli on any card except my Amex after 90 days.  I just let cli karma flow.  Use the card responsibly and they will give you cli every 3-9 months depending on which cc. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

In February, I was approved on recon for the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard and received a SL of $1,000. I waited to see if I would get an auto increase at 6 months and it didn't happen. At 8 months, I called for a decrease in APR. They approved it and decreased it by 1% but said it would be a HP when I asked if there was a SP cli available. I decided to take a HP and request an increase last month (9 months of having the card), and was denied. Maybe I'll see something at the one year mark. I wanted this to be my daily card, since I frequently fly Frontier. However, the limit just isn't cutting it for that. I don't know if it's because of the type of card, or if my profile still just doesn't cut it with them yet. As others have said, online requests are a hard pull, so be careful with that button. Good luck! I hope they give you some luv if you request one.

Message 13 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@raisemysc0re wrote:

South Jamaica,

"They will sometimes give you an auto CLI, at 6 month intervals, if the account gets some use, but not too much use.  They're a very peculiar company."

I plan on using this card (around 3K/mo) and make multiple payments while leaving a small to no balance (under 500.00) to be reported.

Is this recommended?

They don't care what gets reported, they have inside knowledge of what your intra-month spend is.

They don't like to give CLI's to accounts that don't get use; they reason that such accounts are unprofitable.

And they don't like to give CLI's to accounts that have too much use; they reason (fallaciously) that such accounts are held by risky borrowers.

As to what is too much use or too little use, one can only guess, but my guess is that the sweet spot is in the 10% to 35% range.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you ask for a CLI and get auto declined by the system or the customer service rep, your credit is not pulled. It's when you talk to a credit analyst to have them reevaluate the decision is when they do a hard pull because someone must manually view your credit report to make a decision. They only pull Transunion if necessary; Experian and Equifax are not used. When someone manually reviews the request, they like to grant requests based on history. If youre asking for 25k, have you handled comparable lines and for how long? even if your account is 3 months old, but you have incredible history with other major lines, they could grant it. If you have high lines that are still generally new, they may scale back and just ask for history with the bank.

They like to look at 'paydown' on the credit report. Alot of people dont know this, but the report shows the 'highest' balance ever used in 1 month. When they look at that compared to the current balance, they see the amounts the customer is capable of paying down in 1 month. Hope this helps.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I opened up a Barclay's Cash Forward MasterCard on 11/14/2017.

When should I ask for my first CLI? 3/6/9/12 months???

Also, I've seen people here that said to call about APR reduction and then CLI as that should result in a SP instead of a HP...

Is this true?

I wanted to come back and update you with my recent experience with Barclay's cli. I've had my card since last February with no auto increase. I tried the APR reduction method last year, I think around October or November and received a 1% decrease APR, but always got the response that a cli would be a HP. I took a hard pull on a new account with a different card company a couple days ago, so I decided to do ahead and take the HP request with Barclay's to let the new inquiries age together. Went online to do cli request and was given the notice "we will let you know our decision within 48 hours". If they didn't give me one, I was going to close the account due to the low limit and annual fee.

A few minutes later, I received a call from a very nice gentleman who requested income information and why I wanted an increase. Was told he could see my account has been paid like clockwork and I have good standing with them. However, they would like to see a longer credit history, but could approve me at this time for a $1,500 increase. He said the account WILL grow as long as I keep up the good work. Not long after the call, I was notified of TU HP.  My anniversary with them is next month and I will have "nearly" clean reports by the end of September. So, I guess I will keep them around another year to see how it goes (grows).

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.