cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can you use a Cap1 Quicksilver?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where can you use a Cap1 Quicksilver?

Lol maybe they just have a box full of various extra card blanks they’re trying to use up?
Message 11 of 32
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@8bitmachinegun wrote:
Funny, I recently had to pay the old fashioned way at a local restaurant. Their internet service was down and the only way they could take a payment was to make an impression. Back to the 80s...

So what exactly would their plan be if any of the single card, no cash carrying customers came in with one of the cards that has no raised numbers? I have two cards that have raised numbers - my QS (because I have a custom image) and my NFCU Platinum. Every other credit card lacks raised numbers, whether they’re on front or back and I won’t ever use my debit card for purchases, no exceptions. 

If they're using the slips that take impressions of the card, they'd be able to write in the customer's name and card number with an old fashioned device called a pen. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 32
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

The logo is on the back. I believe they're being issued as MasterCards right now.

Quicksilvers are currently being issued as Visas. That information is buried. Look at the card details, then follow the link that says, "View important rates and disclosures." Within the Rate and fee information, there's a section with the heading saying, "How Do You Determine Whether I Will Receive The Visa Signature Or Visa Platinum Card?" When the QS is being issued as a Mastercard, that heading and the accompanying paragraph will be changed to Mastercard language.

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting how often CapOne changes what they issue their cards as, too. I feel like the Quicksilver in particular has switched networks a bunch of times since it first came out.

I have one that's a converted Venture so it's a Visa Signature...Visa Signature logo is on the front but very hard to see because it blends with the card unless the light hits it just right.

My Dad got a Quicksilver last year issued as Mastercard, logo on the back.

Apparently they are back to Visa.
Message 14 of 32
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

They switch pretty often, maybe every nine months or so. The QS has been a Visa for a while. I'd bet on a switch to Mastercard before the end of the year.

Message 15 of 32
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

McDonalds, Airport, Amazon, Grocery Store, Gas Station, .....Smiley Wink

It can be used anywhere, it is a Visa/MC , someone with it can confirm its origin since Cap One changes networks once in awhile.
Message 16 of 32
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@8bitmachinegun wrote:
Funny, I recently had to pay the old fashioned way at a local restaurant. Their internet service was down and the only way they could take a payment was to make an impression. Back to the 80s...

So what exactly would their plan be if any of the single card, no cash carrying customers came in with one of the cards that has no raised numbers? I have two cards that have raised numbers - my QS (because I have a custom image) and my NFCU Platinum. Every other credit card lacks raised numbers, whether they’re on front or back and I won’t ever use my debit card for purchases, no exceptions. 

If they're using the slips that take impressions of the card, they'd be able to write in the customer's name and card number with an old fashioned device called a pen. Smiley Happy

I snorted

Message 17 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
My QS is a smooth card, Mastercard network, no NFC, numbers and logo on the back, issued in July 2018. The front of the card has only the branding and my name. Weird that there are these variations. Mine is a credit-steps-converted Plat, so maybe that has something to do with it?

@Anonymous, if you want a contactless card request a replacement for a 'worn' card and the new one will likely come that way. They even managed to send me a Savor 'Platinum' that was contactless, so I'll be surprised if they can't find a QS blank for you. Smiley Very Happy

Based on the date I suspect you got your card right as they were switching them all over (that's usually my luck as well). Smiley Frustrated

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

The logo is on the back. I believe they're being issued as MasterCards right now.

Is it? 

I have a QS MasterCard, and the card plastic has changed over the years. 

Currently it is a traditional raised lettering card number on the front, the kind you can use in an old fashioned multi-part form CC charge slip with the rollers that pinch fingers. In the past it has been a stenciled number on the front, no raise letters. 

The World MC rings are on the front of the card. Expiration is March 2020, so we shall see if this remains the style on my replacement. This is card does not work as Contactless. 

My Savor card has the stencil card number and WEMC logo on the back, along with my name. The front has CapOne and Savor branding, and my name. This card is Contactless. 

My impression of why CapOne does not emphasize the merchant network, either MasterCard or VISA is that these networks can change, what they decide to issue in a new card.  By keeping the marketing generic, it makes it easier to focus on the CapOne brand, and switch networks as convenient, for new card issuance.  

For the cardholder it makes no real difference.  Unless you are at a very old-school event where someone has a credit card impression roller and multipart NCR forms they want to use to process your CC. ( in case you see this, check whether you travelled back in time.  Your smartphone has probably disappeared from your hand )

The card design can change,  both by the issuer and cardholder. I have a Savor card that is plain black with raised numbers (old style) while the standard is brown with stencil numbers on the back. I chose the black design, but not the raised numbers.

Message 19 of 32
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

the standard is brown with stencil numbers on the back.

It's Ocher, like that slimey stuff you eatSmiley Tongue 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.