Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where would you start?

tag
slowlyclimbing
Established Member

Where would you start?

I'm helping my 18 year old daughter start her credit profile

she has over 750 on all files because of AU accounts but she needs her own cards to start out

what would you recommend?  Start with just 1 card or what would be your plan?

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Where would you start?

Is she a student?

I would have her try discover's prequalify and see what comes up. Disco is a good starter card for newer profiles .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 32
slowlyclimbing
Established Member

She is not a student unfortunately 

Message 3 of 32
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@slowlyclimbing wrote:

She is not a student unfortunately 

Well she can still apply for the discover card have her check the prequalify site .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 32
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Personally I'd get 3 cards right out of the gate and start building a profile.

here's links for Discover and Capital One pre-qualification 

https://www.discovercard.com/application/preapproval/initial?ICMPGN=PUB_HDR_CARDS_PQ

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/preapprove/?external_id=WWW_XXXXX_ZZZ_ONL-SE_ZZZZZ_T_SEM2_ZZ...

Message 5 of 32
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

OP I agree with @Jnbmom.  I would start with someone like Discover.  They seem to be pretty decent with new, clean files.  The limit may not be extremely high but I don't think that'd be needed anyway as a starter card.  CapOne is also an option but I'd really try with Discover first.

I don't agree with the getting 3 new cards out of the gate.  I think it's overkill for a new profile and even more so for someone new to having credit on their own.  After being around these here parts for quite some time now, I've adopted the mindset that more isn't better when you're just getting out of the gate.

Best of luck to your daughter as she starts out on her financial journey. 

Message 6 of 32
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

OP I agree with @Jnbmom.  I would start with someone like Discover.  They seem to be pretty decent with new, clean files.  The limit may not be extremely high but I don't think that'd be needed anyway as a starter card.  CapOne is also an option but I'd really try with Discover first.

I don't agree with the getting 3 new cards out of the gate.  I think it's overkill for a new profile and even more so for someone new to having credit on their own.  After being around these here parts for quite some time now, I've adopted the mindset that more isn't better when you're just getting out of the gate.

You're probably right, I based my "3 out of the gate" on already knowing what I'm doing  and wanting to start a base for AAoA later.

Message 7 of 32
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Loquat wrote:

+1

I also agree you don't need to get 3 cards right out of the gate . Have her try discover ( I prefer them way over cap one) and let her build from there . Wait 6 months and she may get some preaporovals sent to her .

Slow and steady 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 32
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

I agree with Discover, their CS is awesome and she will probably still qualify for their student card.   I feel she will grow a better future relationship with Discover than with CapOne as well, CapOne doesn't seem interesting in growing credit limits and relationships right now.

Also, Disco offers 2 flavors of student cards, a traditional 5% revolving category card with 1% on all other purchases or a 2% on dining and gas with 1% on all other purchases.   CapOne is going to max at 1.5% that is if she qualifies for a no fee QS, otherwise the cash back will be less.  She might as well take advantage of the most cashback too.    

Message 9 of 32
thornback
Senior Contributor

If she has a bank account/good relationship history, you could start there too. 

I'd start her with just one card for the first year so she can become accustomed to managing her own credit.  Then add another, and 6 months later another (assuming she's doing well).  Then let all 3 just age for a while. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.