Jccflat
Established Contributor

Balance transfer question

So I recently got approved with the FNBO cord with $15,000 credit line

I do have a balance transfer offer 0%

I want to take advantage of this offer

Now I see that the charge 3% of the balance transfer 

And I do have zero I do have 0% on purchases also 

Since I use my credit for   the business for Thousands of dollars And I get reimbursed the money Is it worth it same as the balance transfer method   so I do purchase balances on that amount instead of the balance transfer offer so I save the 3% fee?

Also if I do only partial balance transfer and then the rest in purchases does this affect the interest ? Or it doesn't Since the purchase APR is also zero till April 2022?

let me know if am missing something here 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Balance transfer question

@Jccflat wrote:

So I recently got approved with the FNBO cord with $15,000 credit line

I do have a balance transfer offer 0%

I want to take advantage of this offer

Now I see that the charge 3% of the balance transfer 

And I do have zero I do have 0% on purchases also 

Since I use my credit for   the business for Thousands of dollars And I get reimbursed the money Is it worth it same as the balance transfer method   so I do purchase balances on that amount instead of the balance transfer offer so I save the 3% fee?

Also if I do only partial balance transfer and then the rest in purchases does this affect the interest ? Or it doesn't Since the purchase APR is also zero till April 2022?

let me know if am missing something here 

Yes, since they will calculate your ADB on the purchase APR.

I would not commingle your standard purchase transactions when you're carrying a BT on this card.  If both purchase and BT APRs were 0% for the 15 month duration, then it  would be more viable, even with the BT fee.  But, in your case, the promotional/intro APR only applies to BTs.

Message 2 of 6
Jccflat
Established Contributor

I'll check but i remember my purchase apr is the same as the balance transfer offfer zero apr for 15 months 

Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I would double-check just to make sure @Jccflat.  If both are 0% then you should be good.

Message 4 of 6
dogmeat
Regular Contributor

In general, I don't believe a 3% fee BT is very good for someone with good credit (as you appear to have with a recent 15K FNBO card).  You'd be better off figuring out how to put direct purchase on the card assuming it also has a 0% purchase APR (which is a common introductory card offer, often coincident with 0% APR BT).

For short-term BT float, there are other options.  There are a handful of CU cards out there with permanent 0% BT fee.  Even with a 10% APR card (such as DCU) which is not the best option available, you're paying 10/12 = .83%/mon in interest, so if you can pay off the BT (e.g., with business sales/AR/reimbursement) within 3 months, you're still below 3% (.83 x 3 = 2.5).  Another very good option is the Penfed Promise, though I read recently they don't offer it anymore.  It has an ongoing 0% BT fee, 4.9% APR for 12 months, or about .42%/mo interest.  With that card you can float for up to 6 months and stay below 3% (6 x .42 ~= 2.5). 

Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@dogmeat wrote:

In general, I don't believe a 3% fee BT is very good for someone with good credit (as you appear to have with a recent 15K FNBO card).  You'd be better off figuring out how to put direct purchase on the card assuming it also has a 0% purchase APR (which is a common introductory card offer, often coincident with 0% APR BT).

For short-term BT float, there are other options.  There are a handful of CU cards out there with permanent 0% BT fee.  Even with a 10% APR card (such as DCU) which is not the best option available, you're paying 10/12 = .83%/mon in interest, so if you can pay off the BT (e.g., with business sales/AR/reimbursement) within 3 months, you're still below 3% (.83 x 3 = 2.5).  Another very good option is the Penfed Promise, though I read recently they don't offer it anymore.  It has an ongoing 0% BT fee, 4.9% APR for 12 months, or about .42%/mo interest.  With that card you can float for up to 6 months and stay below 3% (6 x .42 ~= 2.5). 

While these additional options can be great opportunities, especially when shopping around, I believe the OP was mainly focused on this recently approved card and the use of intro promotions.  Unless, OP changes their mind and wants to apply for something else.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.