Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AA card is easier to get

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which AA card is easier to get

My wife is looking for an AA card, either Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select or Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red. Her Fico score is around mid-650 or even lower (can't check on CreditKarmar because it required a copy of ID sent in). Her first and only card (USB Cash+) was opened 6 months ago ($200+ on it monthly and always paid in full), although she has 6 authorized accounts, with the oldest of 1.5 year history. Is it a good time to apply for an AA card (which is easier to get), or would you suggest to be gardening for a few more months? She regularly receives mailer for no AF AA card from Citi though.

Update: Fico score should be 650+

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Which AA card is easier to get

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife is looking for an AA card, either Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select or Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red. Her Fico score is around mid-650 or even lower (can't check on CreditKarmar because it required a copy of ID sent in). Her first and only card (USB Cash+) was opened 6 months ago ($200+ on it monthly and always paid in full), although she has 6 authorized accounts, with the oldest of 1.5 year history. Is it a good time to apply for an AA card (which is easier to get), or would you suggest to be gardening for a few more months? She regularly receives mailer for no AF AA card from Citi though.

I suggest that she first get her FICO scores. Lenders do not use scores from CK. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I suggest that she first get her FICO scores. Lenders do not use scores from CK. 

Thanks for your suggestion Smiley Happy Looks the US Bank sent a letter in back we applied the card and the Fico score was 650 at that time. So I think now it should be higher than 650.

Message 3 of 24
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

If it were me, I would find out what the current FICO scores are.  It is a relatively trivial exercise, with extreme potential benefit.  

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, get your fico scores.  www.creditchecktotal.com offers a one week trial for only a $1.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion Smiley Happy Looks the US Bank sent a letter in back we applied the card and the Fico score was 650 at that time. So I think now it should be higher than 650.

I don't think 650 is enough for either AA plat select or Aviator Red.

What do you guys plan to use the card for?

Message 6 of 24
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:   Agreed, get your fico scores.  www.creditchecktotal.com offers a one week trial for only a $1.

Have you actually tried this?  I see that if you fail to cancel within the first seven days, membership auto-renews at $29.99 per month.  I'm assuming they auto-bill a credit card.  How hard do they make it to cancel and has anyone had problems with still being billed after trying to cancel a membership?  These kinds of deals can be messy sometimes. 

"... You may cancel your trial membership at any time within 7 days without charge. If you decide not to cancel, your membership will continue and you will be billed for just $29.99 for each month that you continue your membership."

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ yes I've tried it, set a reminder toi cancel 6 days in just to be sure. Since I really only need to see all 3 scores once. 

I also don't think 650 is high enough for this card, likely more in line with the Mile Up card being under 700.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone. A friend of mine suggested me to take a photo of driver license and send to Credit Karma (all done in mobile). OK, lets try it. After verified, my wife was able to access the credit report in credit karma. Surprisingly, the score was showing up as 771 (TRANSUNION VantageScore 3.0 Excellent). I know, the score is not the one used by most credit card issuers, but I believe her score should not be low now, probably over 700+. If she will apply for an AA card, should she choose Citi or Barclays? Our main concern is her short credit history though.

Message 9 of 24
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Our main concern is we don’t know her FICO scores.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.