cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which non-chase card should I app for?

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Which non-chase card should I app for?

@longtimelurker wrote:

Is food restaurants (in which case Cash Plus is good, although Fast Food and restaurants are different categories on that card) or groceries (in which case Sallie Mae works, and covers gas and bookstores as well).  If it is groceries, BCP/BCE/BC also work, but don't cover Amazon/bookstores.

Sallie Mae, or US Bank Cash+ (or two) would be my choices.

But just to toss in some rarely mentioned cards: Paypal Extras Mastercard, or EBAY Mastercard. 3X points on Gas or Restaurants, 2x on Paypal or EBAY, 1X everything else. Capped at 50,000 points per card year.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 11 of 20
blondy250
Established Contributor

@samm90 wrote:
The IT has 5% for Amazon/online gas and restaurants each for a quarter. Those are the things you said you buy.

This 100%.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 12 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

@samm90 wrote:
The IT has 5% for Amazon/online gas and restaurants each for a quarter. Those are the things you said you buy.

This 100%.

But the trouble with these revolvers is they revolve, you don't know that the category you need will be there when you want it.

So if you have a continuing spend on some category, to me it seems always better to get a card the always covers that category, rather than taking the chance that Discover, Chase or Citi's choices will suit you.  Sio for groceries go for Sallie Mae, or BCE/BCP/BC depending on the amount, Penfed/Fort Knox/BC for gas etc.   Otherwise you are just taking a chance.

I REALLY don't get the love of revolvers here!

Message 13 of 20
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Is food restaurants (in which case Cash Plus is good, although Fast Food and restaurants are different categories on that card) or groceries (in which case Sallie Mae works, and covers gas and bookstores as well).  If it is groceries, BCP/BCE/BC also work, but don't cover Amazon/bookstores.

Sallie Mae, or US Bank Cash+ (or two) would be my choices.

But just to toss in some rarely mentioned cards: Paypal Extras Mastercard, or EBAY Mastercard. 3X points on Gas or Restaurants, 2x on Paypal or EBAY, 1X everything else. Capped at 50,000 points per card year.

Your sig pretty much tells me everything I need to know - thanks!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 14 of 20
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

@samm90 wrote:

This 100%.

But the trouble with these revolvers is they revolve, you don't know that the category you need will be there when you want it.

So if you have a continuing spend on some category, to me it seems always better to get a card the always covers that category, rather than taking the chance that Discover, Chase or Citi's choices will suit you.  Sio for groceries go for Sallie Mae, or BCE/BCP/BC depending on the amount, Penfed/Fort Knox/BC for gas etc.   Otherwise you are just taking a chance.

Its Pokemon. You gotta get em all!

Besides, you know darn well they often have good sign-up bonuses Smiley Wink

Total $443,800
Message 15 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Really!  Now you tell me.  I thought you only need the blue ones!

Message 16 of 20
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

@samm90 wrote:

This 100%.

True Story

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 17 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

My spend is mostly food, followed by gas, and then amazon....

@Repo-ed wrote:

Is there a cash back card out there that is not issued by Chase (They won't give me my OWN LOC so long as my repo is reporting..) that is strong in these two catergories?

If "food" dining out?  Groceries?  Both?  I'm assuming groceries.

BCP on groceries but it's the same as the TE on gas.  For Amazon you'd have to look elsewhere.  Sallie Mae covers all 3 and would be a good fit if the monthly spend limits work for you.

@longtimelurker wrote:

They're (relatively) generally easy to get.  They can be good complementary cards.  I wouldn't rely on them as a sole source for rewards on a major spend category but I would use them to supplement another card.  To each his/her own though.

Message 18 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

They're (relatively) generally easy to get.  They can be good complementary cards.  I wouldn't rely on them as a sole source for rewards on a major spend category but I would use them to supplement another card.  To each his/her own though.

I agree with that.  It's more the enthusiastic recommendation of these cards that I was wondering about.  Of course, some of the cards may be good for non-revolving reasons (Discover, for ShopDiscover for example), but some people seem to think that the revolving thing is a great feature and get excited about the calendar when it is revealed.   That's the bit I don't get, it makes it all a gamble rathing than selecting a card that matches your spending.   But as you say, each to his/her own

Message 19 of 20
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Really!  Now you tell me.  I thought you only need the blue ones!

That is SO 2013...

Total $443,800
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.