cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which should I apply for? CSP or Palladium?

tag
pinipig523
Established Member

Which should I apply for? CSP or Palladium?

Now that I've even done more research between the 2 - I wasn't thinking of applying for both because of some overlap of benefits... right?  

I like the concierge service of the Palladium - but I don't think it offers better reward points than the CSP... am I correct in that assumption?

If I get both, then I get to have both feed into UR, right?  I get to also utilize CSP initially because of the 40,000 bonus points after first $3K spending.  The Palladium, on the other hand, requires 100K spending to get 35,000 points - I don't spend that much per year so that's a moot point for me.

Plus, CSP has no annual fee the first year...

Not sure if this is a viable option of applying for both - but if I were to apply to only one, would you go for the Palladium or the CSP?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Which should I apply for? CSP or Palladium?

If you don't spend $100k+ per year, I don't think the palladium is for you.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 60
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP, I'm not sure what is best for you - you need to decide based on your spending habits. Also you might want to read some of the responses fom your previous posts

Whichever card you decide- GL
Message 3 of 60
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

If you don't spend $100k+ per year, I don't think the palladium is for you.

Agreed.

What would be the purpose of the Palladium card for you? Do you fly internationally in premium cabins frequently (if not, but it is your goal, you'll get there faster with CSP+Freedom+Ink or Bold...you can open chase checking as well to get further bonus UR points)? Do you fly privately often? What exclusive experiences are you looking to book via concierge? Do you fly BA in full-fare J often? Are you in an industry which legitimately requires you to impress clients by pulling out a card made of palladium?

If the answer to the majority of those questions was no (and since you charge less than 100K a year, I'm going to guess thats the case), then you're better off with CSP, Freedom, Ink or Bold, and checking. You definitely don't need both CSP and Palladium. 

Message 4 of 60
boomhower
Valued Contributor

It sounds like the CSP is certainly the card that works better for you.  The Palladium is a fine card but geared towards upper end spenders that doesn't sound like you've gotten to that level yet. (not picking, your way ahead of me!)

Message 5 of 60
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

Plus, as heavily debated here, you can't just apply for Palladium. You need to have a private banking relationship and your private banker faxes the app in for you

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 6 of 60
pinipig523
Established Member

Thanks guys - I read everything on my other thread... but the other thread did not discuss CSP.  

The one thing I like about the Palladium is that it has concierge services for reservations and I like that I can go into private lounges at airports.  We do quite a bit of domestic (and Maui) travelling, but not so much international.  We do not fly private jets.  Our expenses probably hit around $50-60K a year on credit cards alone... but not $100K to hit the 35,000 point bonus.  I can stomach the $595 AF, but prefer a smaller fee of course.  

I'm just not sure what the Palladium offers on top of the CSP other than the concierge and lobby access/united access.... aside from the flash of the Palladium card itself.

@a3quit4s wrote:

Plus, as heavily debated here, you can't just apply for Palladium. You need to have a private banking relationship and your private banker faxes the app in for you

Yes, I know that already - I am a Private Client at Chase.

Message 7 of 60
TM82
Regular Contributor

The concierge benefits aren't that great, most of the time I just pick up the phone and do it myself. I asked for assistance with booking a hotel stay and by the time I got a response I had already booked my room.

In terms of the lounge access, it gives Lounge Club access. The United Club is not a published benefit and is not guaranteed. It's by request only, not sure if people are having success getting it now.

By default the CSP is the better of the two again unless you put more than 100k on the card.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 8 of 60
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

CSP is cheaper and gives you a better rewards system. Plus it has a metallic card so that takes away some of the "wow" factor from the Palladium card...
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 9 of 60
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

Regarding lounge access, if you redeem your ultimate rewards for premium cabins (which is the best, most valuable use of your points. International business or first will get you the highest redemption value, but if you go to Hawaii regularly, that would be a good redemption as well), you will have lounge access anyways.
Message 10 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.