cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whos more conservative, Chase or Penfed?

tag
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Whos more conservative, Chase or Penfed?

Whos more conservative, Chase or Penfed? Seems like Penfed is less conservative but I read differently.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whos more conservative, Chase or Penfed?

@Royalbacon wrote:

Whos more conservative, Chase or Penfed? Seems like Penfed is less conservative but I read differently.

I think it depends on the applicants credit. PenFed used to be extremely conservative but has since relaxed their approvals (and subsequently increased lending rates to pay for increased risk Smiley Frustrated ). However, if someone with a sketchy credit rating or a blemish gets declined, it seems that most are able to voice their dissatisfaction on a survey and this can often lead to an approval or a higher starting limit. Chase really doesn't recon, so in this case, PenFed may be less conservative.

Chase can be conservative, especially if you have already applied for 5 new accounts in the past two years. They do approve people though; they just may approve you for a $500 limit and 24% interest with less than stellar credit. 

It really is best to go into both lenders with a clean profile and a decent (above 680) FICO score for the best chance of approval, decent starting limits and palatable APRs. . 

Message 2 of 7
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I think - well in my case- Chase is more conservative. I have 4 Chase cards with a total CL of $15k, and 3 PenFed cards for $30k
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The military generally leans a little more conservative.
Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I have about $20k total on three Chase cards all at the lowest APRs (in fact my 10 year-old Freedom is a few points lower than the current published range) and $30k + about a $10k auto loan with PenFed. While the auto refi was the lowest at 1.99%, my PenFed cards were issued with an APR a few points higher than the minimum listed (granted I never pay them more than 4.99% and the cards are still relatively low APR).

I think PenFed is more willing to extend credit if you can give them a good reason to, while Chase pretty much goes by the computer and their analysts are quite risk averse. Otherwise I don't think one is more conservative than the other.
Message 5 of 7
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

PenFed has been more conservative with me as far as granting credit limits on new cards, but they have been my primary financial institution for the past 25 years, so they know things about my history that Chase doesn't know.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 7
Gmood1
Super Contributor

IME the CUs have always been the more conservative. The larger banks more lenient and much more depended on an automated system to give out limits/approvals. It's less likely to get manual reviews with the majority of the national banks besides US Bank and FNBO. On average my CU exposure is half that of the big boys. However, I'd still choose the CU over those banks for certain loans outside of CC's.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.