Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Chase (Freedom) Can't Compete with Discover

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Why Chase (Freedom) Can't Compete with Discover

@Anonymous wrote:
Problem with being so well informed more and more consumers are. The credit card turning/churning secrets got out which is good for everyone who got to do it. 

Well, which is why we have the adage, "one who hesitates, loses."

Message 11 of 66
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I would expect some amount of limitation on the Freedom categories due to the fact that UR points are worth so much more than 5%.  It seems like you're comparing apples to oranges by comparing categories that earn cash back exclusively compared to categories that earn UR points that can be transfered to partners.

It takes a lot of qualifiers to level the playing field in order to compare the two on a purely cash back standard of measure.  Does anyone actually even redeem UR points for cash back??  If Discover offered a transferable point program than you might have a point, but as it stands I think your comparison is a stretch.

Message 12 of 66
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

So one subpar 5x quarter and all of a sudden the Freedom card is worse than the Discover IT? That's subjective, opinionated, and your impression. 

With double cashback and the Apple Pay bonus, I could easily replace everything you said about going after customers with Discover instead of Chase. What tune will you be singing when Discover starts chopping branches off of the rewards tree?

Message 13 of 66
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

--  Years ago, by hiring Mr. Gordon Smith away from Amex, Chase made a strategic choice to commit considerable resources to aggressively compete for Amex's top tier "white shoe" clientelle.  Of course, this would require a world class travel rewards program, very high to no caps on rewards, and significant upfrong client acquisition costs.  Of course, I agree (obviously), Chase wasn't targetting the bonus chaser or perk abuser, but I suspect they accepted it as a necessary short term price to pay for coveting Amex's spendcentric cardmembers.  Competition benefits consumers and should be encouraged at every turn.  In my view, Amex had gone far too long without some kind of competition.  Naturally, in any competitive environment, while consumers benefit with the sudden proliferation of free points (combination of price war and unprecedentd QE, zero rates, and cheap money), all the Issuers found utilizing free cash towards client acquisition as a much better option to earning zero interest and incurring a higher tax liability.  I sense UR inflationary pressure is the reason why Chase has implemented the 5 in 24 restriction on their UR based cards.

Certainly, I believe Chase accepted that there would be some churners as a short term price to pay. How big a price they were willing to pay at what retention rates, though, only they can say. In my opinion, Chase may not have originally anticipated the number/severity of churning/bonus chasing correctly and decided later that the cost was too much and/or the retention/normal use rate too low.

I also agree that competition is good and should be encouraged. Amex had been without competition, for certain, and Chase is not the only one providing competition now. Citi has stepped up, and while they may not be as good with transferring points, the 1.6x bonus of TY points when booking American is pretty sweet if one has the Prestige. My point is though that Chase went a little too far with how aggressive they were going to be, and they are doing some rethinking now.

@Open123 wrote:

--  Well, different business model.  Chase, by targeting on Amex's travel rewards spenders, has basically made a strategic decision to devote less resources to their cashback offerings. 

Right; what I'm saying is Discover's business model is paying off. Not that Chase's isn't - in fact, I think Chase has decided that they have "arrived" and can afford to play a little more hardball with customers - but I think Chase's business model/strategy is part of the reason why the they would inevitably clip off the Freedom's wings.

@Open123 wrote:

Also, the cost to Chase isn't as great as it may appear.  They purchase these points at a very high volume and greatly reduced rates. 

Oh, I'm not saying that Chase is suffering some great loss. I am just saying they probably are not making as much as they want to, which is why the offerings are getting weaker. I don't think the question is whether Chase is losing money. It's whether they are making enough to hit or exceed their internal profit targets for specific divisions or evens specific products.

Message 14 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't assume that Discover won't suffer some of the same fate as Chase when it comes to users taking advantage of rewards categories.  With the double cash back and now this extremely large rewards offering using Apple pay many of the same 'churners' and MSers will be doing the same to this card.  When you offer 20%+ cash back the floodgates will open starting when IOS 9.0 comes out.  When you have people willing to spend $600 just to buy an iPhone that they wouldn't otherwise that should tell you something.

Message 15 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

DeeBee78, in their defense, OP made a lot of commentary about how they're doing this year, not in general--the rest was merely speculation as to what made the card weaker this year. Also, people weren't impressed with Q3 either, so that makes it a subpar half year.

Of course, I will agree that it's subjective. But it is something that people agree with, and it isn't necessarily a bad thing to discuss.
Message 16 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

In fairness to Chase competing with the Discover the double cashback promo is borderline insane.  The idea that a company would essentially turn a 5% cashback bonus into a 10% cashback bonus for a year and a 1% general spend card into a 2% general spend card is unheard of.  With Discover deals you might get as much as 20-25% cash back with purchases.  Holding it against Chase that they can't compete with that might be a touch unfair. 

For whatever reason Discover has decided to be extremely aggressive with the IT at this point and attempted to bring in a ton of new customers. 

Message 17 of 66
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discovers not stupid not everyone who scores the 10% back double cashback will all pay in full. it's a more aggressive gamble but you saw that discover train in June/July. some of the best disciplined people will end up carrying a balance here and there. Discover will get their money back.

It's certainly an aggressive gamble, but interest paying customers probably exist just as much for Chase. Also a little math could show why, directly, the sign-up bonuses are a bigger gamble. Let's take a Freedom offer for $200 in cashback for $500 spend. That is a 40% bleed up front if taken out in cash, and maybe more if taken out in URs - since as many have pointed out here, UR points (to some) are more valuable than cash. Even at the regularly available $100 level it's a 20% bleed for Chase. Let's say for Discover you maxed out the categories every quarter. That's $75 a quarter, for $1500 in spend per quarter, double it to $150 a quarter - but this doubling will have to wait until the end of the promo period. That's the same bleed (roughly) for three times the spend, and in a much harder way: you have to spend on the changing categories, not just anywhere. Plus, Discover, by spreading the promo over a year, is more likely to build habit (not that it will work for everyone) and discourage churning/chasing (since that is most lucrative when you can do a spurt of spend in short bursts).

Message 18 of 66
yfan
Valued Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

So one subpar 5x quarter and all of a sudden the Freedom card is worse than the Discover IT?

No, actually in my judgment, Freedom was always worse than the Discover It.

@DeeBee78 wrote:

That's subjective, opinionated, and your impression. 

Of course it is! Smiley Very Happy I thought I made that amply clear too, what with mentioning multiple times that this was only my opinion and stuff!

@DeeBee78 wrote:

With double cashback and the Apple Pay bonus, I could easily replace everything you said about going after customers with Discover instead of Chase. What tune will you be singing when Discover starts chopping branches off of the rewards tree? 

See my explanation above as to why it's harder to exploit spread over rewards. But I assure you, should Discover screw it up, I am not going to defend a nerf and argue that it isn't one! These are just credit cards and banks, not our puppies. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 66
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

I do agree that in terms of pure cashback, Discover outwins Chase Freedom by a landslide. 

Don't know much about customer service since I don't have Discover and I've never called Chase for anything ever (I never call customer service). My only Chase CS experience would be in-branch and I've only ever had polite, courteous service there. If I was interested in another rotating card, I would consider Discover but at this point, I'm sort of over this rewards thing and would rather just have something simple like Quicksilver. 

Well, Discover It IS a straight 2% card (plus the categories) at least for the first year. But I see your point, and I agree that flat rewards cards are often undervalued by the credit community. I think Quicksilver and Double Cash are excellent products.

Message 20 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.