cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are rewards/cash back cards so finicky/restrictive?

tag
Azza
Regular Contributor

Why are rewards/cash back cards so finicky/restrictive?

This might sound dumb, but I'm gonna write it out anyway.

I took a serious look at my wallet the other day. I started moving cards in and out of pockets and sock drawering cards that have passed their use for me or just to lighten the wallet. It dawned on me, that while many of us treat the credit system as a game, the banks are playing their own game.

Why is it that (not looking at you, AOD) we can't just have flat cash back rewards or points that offer higher tiered points, no caps, etc? Was just reading about Citi Custom Cash and USBank's Cash+. And then there's the Discover It and the Freedom Flex. These cards tempt you with 5% back but then have low caps so you move off one card onto the next one, gamifying the entire system. Then that made me wonder, why can't we just get a 5% cash back card for general spend? I mean they have 5% cash back for categories so why not just for everything at once? Heck, even cap them! Actually—now I'll bring up AOD—how is it that they offer 3% on unlimited spending but other, larger institutions can't/don't/won't?

I understand that these corporations/banking institutions have a goal and that is to make tons of money. And I get it, that's probably the reason. But why do they have to make it so heckin' difficult?

Thanks. I feel better.

Currently Reporting:

Current Score:

Gardening Started with:

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Why are rewards/cash back cards so finicky/restrictive?

The goal of 5% cards is to get you accustomed to using the card for all purchases, mostly at around 1%.  For consumer credit cards, Interchange is almost exclusively under 3% and the issuing bank will not make much money on many rewards cards purchases on a per-transaction basis.  It's really the bread and butter of those low rewards purchases and those who carry a balance that cover the rewards.  Remember that most consumers do not have a stack of credit cards that they rotate to maximize rewards.

Message 2 of 49
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The goal of 5% cards is to get you accustomed to using the card for all purchases, mostly at around 1%.  For consumer credit cards, Interchange is almost exclusively under 3% and the issuing bank will not make much money on many rewards cards purchases on a per-transaction basis.  It's really the bread and butter of those low rewards purchases and those who carry a balance that cover the rewards.  Remember that most consumers do not have a stack of credit cards that they rotate to maximize rewards.

Pretty much this. Banks are "training" us (or trying to) to use their card over and over so that eventually, you won't think twice about using their card at X merchant, even if rewards are as little as 1% (or even nonexistent in some cases). Most "normal" people outside of MF only have 1 or 2, maybe 3 CCs at most, and they're usually not applied for with the purpose of maximizing rewards. A lot of these consumers just use whatever card they happen to pull out of their wallet/purse first without thinking about rewards. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Azza wrote:

Then that made me wonder, why can't we just get a 5% cash back card for general spend?

Or to simplify things further: why don't all merchants just cut all their prices by 5% and then we don't need to worry about cards (except for carrying balances) at all!

As others have said, it's just not economically viable.  Rewards are funded by "swipe" charges, annual fees and interest paid by those that don't PIF.  Swipe charges can't be increased too much, or merchants will start not accepting cards.  Interest rates too high, and people default etc.

Now if you want to appreciate US cards more, look at UK reward cards, where the swipe charges are kept very low. 1.5% is AMAZING.

Message 4 of 49
NRB525
Super Contributor

When posing a question such as this, it may be useful to imagine "how would I market, take applications for, get people to use, and make a profit by offering an innovative credit card with a flat 5% Everywhere rewards rate?"

You as Card Issuer need to look into what the swipe fees are, which your cardholder customers will be pushing merchants to send you, the Issuing Bank. How does that relate to the 5% advertised rewards rate?

Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

When posing a question such as this, it may be useful to imagine "how would I market, take applications for, get people to use, and make a profit by offering an innovative credit card with a flat 5% Everywhere rewards rate?"

You as Card Issuer need to look into what the swipe fees are, which your cardholder customers will be pushing merchants to send you, the Issuing Bank. How does that relate to the 5% advertised rewards rate?

Smiley Happy

Unless of course you were a bank with assets that needed, um, cleaning.  (And no, LTL Bank absolutely doesn't fall into that category.  Really).  Then, with paying the merchants with dirty cash and getting nice clean money from the customers, the extra traffic generated by the 5%, plus the fact that smallish losses don't matter, an ideal set up!

Message 6 of 49
uncredited
Frequent Contributor

That's a fun, if rhetorical read. It ties in nicely with what I wrote in my thread, how I've moved from wanting a few cards, to then looking at the many cards and thinking so many were useful, to then spreadsheeting exactly what the rewards cards all give me compared to each other and realised that no matter how the clever schemes are divided, pretty much all of them are designed to land you around the same percentage, and even the best of them can net you at most $100-150/yr above just using a single 2% card, spending naturally, unless you're spreading things around multiple category-specific cards and/or using them in very specific ways.  Ultimately, I decided I really don't want most of them, because they're mostly useless.  But will get some anyway because I really need the increased number of accounts, and more total CL is always good. 

It makes sense, why would they want to give away money?  But it is very surprising when even a cynical reader like me can think many of these schemes would be pretty rewarding and when calculated, almost none of them would earn more than $150 or slightly more per year over a basic 2%. Why bother with all that hassle? Travel points schemes do seem to be far more rewarding, but if you're not into travel, the CC game definitely loses a lot of luster when you look close enough.

Message 7 of 49
NRB525
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Smiley Happy

Unless of course you were a bank with assets that needed, um, cleaning.  (And no, LTL Bank absolutely doesn't fall into that category.  Really).  Then, with paying the merchants with dirty cash and getting nice clean money from the customers, the extra traffic generated by the 5%, plus the fact that smallish losses don't matter, an ideal set up!

Well, the dirty part means there's another group, besides the cardholders and the merchants, with an interest in running their cash through the "bank". And, as an interchange bank which is part of the Federal Reserve ecosystem, a prerequisite to be able to issue payment network credit cards, that means bank examiners living in this "bank" and asking pesky questions about all those other transactions from cash. Smiley Happy 

But if someone wants to model that out to see that they are able to offer a 5% Everywhere Card, have at it.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 49
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Azza wrote:

This might sound dumb, but I'm gonna write it out anyway.

I took a serious look at my wallet the other day. I started moving cards in and out of pockets and sock drawering cards that have passed their use for me or just to lighten the wallet. It dawned on me, that while many of us treat the credit system as a game, the banks are playing their own game.

Why is it that (not looking at you, AOD) we can't just have flat cash back rewards or points that offer higher tiered points, no caps, etc? Was just reading about Citi Custom Cash and USBank's Cash+. And then there's the Discover It and the Freedom Flex. These cards tempt you with 5% back but then have low caps so you move off one card onto the next one, gamifying the entire system. Then that made me wonder, why can't we just get a 5% cash back card for general spend? I mean they have 5% cash back for categories so why not just for everything at once? Heck, even cap them! Actually—now I'll bring up AOD—how is it that they offer 3% on unlimited spending but other, larger institutions can't/don't/won't?

I understand that these corporations/banking institutions have a goal and that is to make tons of money. And I get it, that's probably the reason. But why do they have to make it so heckin' difficult?

Thanks. I feel better.

I don't see a problem at all.  We are lucky to have all these 1.5%, 2%, 3%, 5% CB opportunities available to us.  I enjoy taking advantage of them.  I don't look at it as a hassle, I look at it as a fun puzzle/challenge on how to maximize CB returns each quarter - and throughout the year.  Go back some 30-40 years when Discover gave you 0.25% on the first $1000, then 0.50%, then 0.75%, etc....  We've come a long way!  Be grateful!  Smiley Happy  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 9 of 49
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

They make optimizing difficult in the hope that we won't do it.  Why should they make it easy?  What's in it for them?  Banks are not in the business of giving away money.

It is possible to earn well above 2% back on everything if you're strategic about which cards you have and how you use them.  Like most things in life, though, the payoff is proportional to how much work you're willing to put into it.

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.