Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did Discover issue refund?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Why did Discover issue refund?

I was using my Discover card for some balance transfers, on which I would be charged interest.

In order to ensure that I had a zero balance, I overpaid enough to cover the interest.

So what does Discover do? At the statement closing date, it (a) issues me a refund check for the credit balance, and (b) charges the interest, so that I wind up with a balance even though I was looking for a zero balance to be reported.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Re: Why did idiots at Discover issue refund?

That would irritate me.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 2 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Would slightly irk me, but pay the residial interest and ask them to report off cycle as they will

Message 3 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Would slightly irk me, but pay the residial interest and ask them to report off cycle as they will

Great idea. Thank you for that Smiley Happy I had already paid the interest... all of $18. So I called and they said I should call back when the payment's posted, and the balance is back to zero, and they will report it (as you said they would).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

LMAO

You should know better than try to out smart an Idiot.  Preemption doesn't work always.  The nuances of lenders is bewildering while one keeps the cash for a cycle or two before issuing a refund check and others are too honest to keep it for an extra minute while the statement posts.

If you were paying interest on this cycle anyway why not wipeout the majority of the balance, wait for the statement, and cut a payment for the balance?  They tend to waive interest that's trailing if you have a compeling arguement.

*shrug*

Maybe I'm thinking of a different lender.  Might have been Citi/BestBuy that waived something like $600 in promo interest when the person held the debt too long and the promo expired mid cycle or something.

Message 5 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes SJ, this is what they do. When i paid back a bt , i accidently overpaid . They sent me a checkSmiley Wink. Im not sure if i had kept it there whether or not i could have just used that amount in purchases to equal out or not but i do temember getting a check.....that i accidently shredded the first time with all my cli denial letters lol.

Sorry SJSmiley Sad
Message 6 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Only Disco can go from Idiot to HeroSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Yes SJ, this is what they do. When i paid back a bt , i accidently overpaid . They sent me a checkSmiley Wink. Im not sure if i had kept it there whether or not i could have just used that amount in purchases to equal out or not but i do temember getting a check.....that i accidently shredded the first time with all my cli denial letters lol.

Sorry SJSmiley Sad

Yes but in this case on the same day they issued the refund and charged me the interest.

Why couldn't they deduct the interest from the credit balance before the refund if they were so bound and determined to issue a refund?

Message 8 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Sorry SJSmiley Sad

Yes but in this case on the same day they issued the refund and charged me the interest.

Why couldn't they deduct the interest from the credit balance before the refund if they were so bound and determined to issue a refund?

Because they're idiots?😄

Message 9 of 22
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

It's known that Discover (and Chase) will report upon request, so that part isn't a big deal. I'd be more annoyed about the possibility of taking an extra month to reset the grace period. I wonder if it would have helped had you involved customer service when you wanted to pay to zero.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.