youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Why do people use store cards?

A. Get discounts
B. Pif
C. AVOID interest
D. Build easy cred

!!!!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 53
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
A. Get discounts
B. Pif
C. AVOID interest
D. Build easy cred

!!!!!!

...you have a lovely set of cards and limits there buddy...jeez.  Nice.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 12 of 53
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

I see people here always touting Walmart, Home Depot, Macy's, JCP, etc.

Why would you use a store card over just a Visa, MC, Discover or AMEX?  Do they give a discount with each purchase?  Coupons?

I don't think store cards are worth it at all.  

In fact i think they are useless.

IMO, they discounts and promotions do not justify having a Store card.

Some ppl will differ from my point of view.

I can not and will not ever be convinced that a Store Card is worth getting.  Not even if said store card was giving me a promotion of idk lets say 1 MILLION dollars FREE products if I spent 1 dollar at their store using their store card.  I still would not get a store card.  LOL! Smiley Tongue

Message 13 of 53
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

I think its completly worth it. Easier to get, great promotions, discounts, no interest, and another way to rebuild credit for many of us. There are definitely perks to having one. However, I wouldn't get one just to get it if you don't shop there often. I'm a regular shopper at Walmart and Amazon so having these two cards is a definite plus. 

BK7 Discharge: 2/18.
Message 14 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't like store cards b/c they force you to be loyal to a store, but I guess if you're already shopping there, why not? I still haven't convinced myself to appy though....VS and Mayc's sound nice lol

Message 15 of 53
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
A. Get discounts
B. Pif
C. AVOID interest
D. Build easy cred

!!!!!!

+1

also pay over time with no interest

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 16 of 53
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Razeus wrote:

Why would you use a store card over just a Visa, MC, Discover or AMEX?  Do they give a discount with each purchase?  Coupons?

I can not and will not ever be convinced that a Store Card is worth getting.  Not even if said store card was giving me a promotion of idk lets say 1 MILLION dollars FREE products if I spent 1 dollar at their store using their store card.  I still would not get a store card.  LOL! Smiley Tongue

HUH?

A store card is worth it, if you can get a larger discount than you would rewards another way.

For example. Best buy offers 10% off ink if you use your store card. They also offer price matching. So using a store card to buy ink at best buy is one of the cheapest local ways to buy ink. You also get 4% (4.5% for premier members) back in rewards if you choose standard financing. So, that is one of many ways a store card can be useful.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 17 of 53
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

I only have cards to stores I shop at often. Because of the ridiculous APR's store cards have, it forces me to PIF each statement versus sometimes carrying a balance on my Visa or MC. 

Message 18 of 53
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Razeus wrote:

HUH?

A store card is worth it, if you can get a larger discount than you would rewards another way.

For example. Best buy offers 10% off ink if you use your store card. They also offer price matching. So using a store card to buy ink at best buy is one of the cheapest local ways to buy ink. You also get 4% (4.5% for premier members) back in rewards if you choose standard financing. So, that is one of many ways a store card can be useful.

Meh.

Like I said, I can not and will not ever be convinced that a Store Card is worth getting.

Message 19 of 53
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I use my VS because of the discounts I get.  I don't have a store locally anymore so I purchase online.  They allow up to 3 coupon codes, so I have gotten some signigicant savings, especially when I shop in their sale section.  I use my Belk card because of coupons.  When they have sales, which they do often, and you use a coupon, sometimes you get additional savings by using your Belk card on top of everything else.  I used my Ashley Homestore card to finance furniture at 0% interest and paid it off well before the time frame given and I've used my Kay Jeweler's card for their 0% financing before.  I use my Walmart card only occasionally and have never taken advantage of special financing offers.  However, I do like that I can get a little cash back if I am low on cash when using my card, have the free TU score monthly and that that I can increase my CL every four months. 

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.