cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does everyone apply and have so many cards?

tag
otter69
New Contributor

Re: Why does everyone apply and have so many cards?

Total utilization is much more important than what you are doing card-by-card, although that is somewhat important as well (using your example, if you were to apply for a CLI on the card which is maxed out, they are likely to deny it even if you are at 10% overall utilization). 

I don't do senior citizen activities like Bingo, needlepoint, shuffleboard, square dancing, and ABSOLUTELY NO GARDENING!
Message 11 of 29
soccer5
Regular Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

@Mannymal wrote:

The more credit available you have, the lower your utilization, and thus higher credit score. 

I personally have six credit cards, and two store cards. I have that many simply  because I used them for their individual perks. But I may close one or two. 

Wait a second, now even I'm confused. When they take into account your utilization they count the credit line vs. balance of all cards combined? Does that mean if you have a $0 balance on all cards but one is almost maxed out that you could still have a more than acceptable utilization? I thought the utilization was on a card by card basis.

If i am learning this properly, i believe FICO scores your utilization on an individual card basis AND on your cards combined together.

Starting Score: EX 549 EQ 465 TU 477
Current Score: EX 714 EQ 681 TU 727 EX Fico (PSECU) 683 EQ Fico 676 (MyFico) TU Fico (WalMart) 701 as of 6/6/2014
Goal Score: 700's
Message 12 of 29
myjourney
Super Contributor

@soccer5 wrote:

@RockySC wrote:

@Mannymal wrote:

The more credit available you have, the lower your utilization, and thus higher credit score. 

I personally have six credit cards, and two store cards. I have that many simply  because I used them for their individual perks. But I may close one or two. 

Wait a second, now even I'm confused. When they take into account your utilization they count the credit line vs. balance of all cards combined? Does that mean if you have a $0 balance on all cards but one is almost maxed out that you could still have a more than acceptable utilization? I thought the utilization was on a card by card basis.

If i am learning this properly, i believe FICO scores your utilization on an individual card basis AND on your cards combined together.

I waited to see who had the right answer CORRECT 

Fico scores each card UTL along with total UTL

Example based upon what was stated in the thread you can have high limits thus lowering your UTL but the one card that is reporting as maxed out will cause a Fico scoring ding ...Thus losing points 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 29
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

@Mannymal wrote:

you get graded on both individual card util and overall util. your second question above...it will depend on how much available credit you have. lets say you have 4 cc's at $500, $500, $1k, and $2k. given your scenario above, if the first 3 cards were at 0 but your $2k almost maxed out, your overall util would still be almost 50%. but if your cc's have decent limits, then your scenarionmay work.

and to OP....part of obtaining multiple cc's (aka app sprees) is the thrill of the hunt! Smiley Wink

edit:

degnemit...MJ beat me to it. hate using portables to post on the boards...fingers too big for on-screen keyboard lol

Message 14 of 29
RockySC
Established Member

Cool, thanks. So long story short, it's still best to always keep your util low on each card no matter what for the most part.

Message 15 of 29
onthemove
Contributor

red259,

You are planning on combining your card's credit line from the same bank before you closing out some cards...right!?

Message 16 of 29
myjourney
Super Contributor

@TravellingNomad wrote:

@RockySC wrote:

@Mannymal wrote:

you get graded on both individual card util and overall util. your second question above...it will depend on how much available credit you have. lets say you have 4 cc's at $500, $500, $1k, and $2k. given your scenario above, if the first 3 cards were at 0 but your $2k almost maxed out, your overall util would still be almost 50%. but if your cc's have decent limits, then your scenarionmay work.

and to OP....part of obtaining multiple cc's (aka app sprees) is the thrill of the hunt! Smiley Wink

edit:

degnemit...MJ beat me to it. hate using portables to post on the boards...fingers too big for on-screen keyboard lol

But you still had the right answer WTG

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 17 of 29
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

@Mannymal wrote:

Yes. Due to the other card limits my overal util is 4% but with a 90% util on Discover due to its limit.  I do not want to imagine how this would impact if I only had two cards with similar limit to Discover Smiley Tongue .. for me no punishment score wise with this high util on a single card.

Message 18 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@rwt wrote:

I am new to the site and I want to say thanks for the advice and help I have received so far. I have been reading threads and have been wondering why so many people apply for and have so many cards.

Mainly because of the following:  (1) I can; (2) rewards and sign up promos; and, (3) it's fun!  

Message 19 of 29
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@rwt wrote:

I am new to the site and I want to say thanks for the advice and help I have received so far. I have been reading threads and have been wondering why so many people apply for and have so many cards.

Mainly because of the following:  (1) I can; (2) rewards and sign up promos; and, (3) it's fun!  

here here

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.