Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wont they approve a CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why wont they approve a CLI

Why won't they approve me for a CLI??? My transunion score is 687 (experian is 719). Six figure income, 1.8 year average credit card age. I do have 5 new accounts in last 6 months (maybe that's why?) 22% UTI
The 4500 was my start.inng limit opened back in Jan.
Accounts
Navy fed 15k
Citi double cash 7k
Discover it 4500
Usaa 2500
Usaa 2500
Cap 1 1450
Hilton Amex 1000
Amex platinum
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Why wont they approve a CLI

I would say it is the 5 new accounts. Stop apping and wait a couple of years or so then think about a CLI.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Why won't they approve me for a CLI??? My transunion score is 687 (experian is 719). Six figure income, 1.8 year average credit card age. I do have 5 new accounts in last 6 months (maybe that's why?) 22% UTI
The 4500 was my start.inng limit opened back in Jan.
Accounts
Navy fed 15k
Citi double cash 7k
Discover it 4500
Usaa 2500
Usaa 2500
Cap 1 1450
Hilton Amex 1000
Amex platinum

There's part of your answer OP.  Discover is finicky and there's no rhyme or reason to how some CLIs are granted.   How long have you had your Discover CC?

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the card since January so 6 months?
Message 4 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I've had the card since January so 6 months?

Gotcha, but given your profile (and the newish accounts and current utilization) $4,500 isn't that bad of a CL for Discover.   Are you budding up against the limit every month?   Just keep in mind, lenders don't have to grant a CLI, those kind of things come with time and if the account qualifies for it.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I run about 5000 through the card and make several payments through out the month. I have $800 on the card which I'll pay off next week and throw in the sock drawer with the Cap 1 card. Amex approved credit limit raises on two of my cards as did Navy fed. I'm going to use the cards that reward me for using them.
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just asked for a CLI on my Citi DC and was told I was at my max without a HP.

I've had the card for 2 years and 6 months.  CL is $7,800.  Credit is a marathon not a sprint.  I was going to stop asking after the $10k point anyway but I simply don't take it personal.  My FICOs are all from 785 to 802.

Message 7 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I run about 5000 through the card and make several payments through out the month. I have $800 on the card which I'll pay off next week and throw in the sock drawer with the Cap 1 card. Amex approved credit limit raises on two of my cards as did Navy fed. I'm going to use the cards that reward me for using them.

Sure, that's great from that perspective when it comes to usage, but no lender is going to "reward" or grant a CLI if they detect a slew of new accounts in a short period of time, inquiries and anything else that may effect that decision.  

Also, if you have requested a CLI, a letter would typically indicate the main reasons listed (below the score or CR obtained) which would allude as to why it wasn't approved.  The good thing about Discover is at least the CLI requests are usually SP.  So, you can keep trying until one is eventually possible.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand it's a marathon.... I also am not taking it personal, it's just business. Just as they expect me to make timely payment, in turn I expect to be rewarded for those timely payment along with a decent monthly spend. Is it wrong to look at it like that? If Amex and Navy fed are giving me CLIs, why would I want to give their business to Discover with nothing in return? Might need to keep spending for a few more months for the cash back match though.
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is a good horse to keep in the stable for the long haul. I had my card maxed for about 2 years straight (but never paid late or went over) and once I got it somewhat under control (66% Util) they bumped me 4K. Other lenders might've been looking to decrease my credit (can't say I'd blame 'em either) but not Disco. 

Keep plugging & it'll come. As always, YMMV.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.