cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Amex reallocate between cards when doing CLI?

tag
yapsalot
Regular Contributor

Will Amex reallocate between cards when doing CLI?

Will Amex reallocate credit limits between two cards if I do a CLI request on one of the cards? If so, will I get advance notice or the ability to say no to the reallocation?

I have two Amex cards. One has a limit of 10k and one has a limit of 50k. I want to try to increase the 10k card to 30 or 40k. I vaguely recall that upon a CLI request for the 10k card that Amex might simply realloacate credit from the 50K card without actually increasing the overall credit limit. I don't want to reallocate, I am seeking to increase the 10k card without any reallocation. If I do a CLI on the 10k card, and Amex reallocates credit from the 50k card, will I get the opportunity to say no and just keep both cards where they are now?

Yapsalot
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Will Amex reallocate between cards when doing CLI?

Are you using the card with $50k limit heavily?

Are the two cards, both $50k and $10k, in the same co-brand family?

Are you prepared to provide the 4506-T, which seems likely to be requested when reaching $80k - $90k total limits?

When I got the Delta Reserve, they took $5k from the Delta Platinum, instantly. I reached $55k overall and noted they transferred the limit from one Delta card to another. This isn't exactly your situation obviously, but it seems to me likely that cards in the same co-brand sequence may be more likely to give and take between each other in this way.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 6
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I would simply let them reallocate.  You can always grow the two cards at a later date.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 6
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If they do presumably reallocate to accommodate your CLI request you can always reallocate it to how you want your limits set online or over the phone. This is under the assumption that both cards are either both personal or both business. They'll allow reallocation from personal to business but not business to personal. Something to keep in mind.

Message 4 of 6
yapsalot
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Are you using the card with $50k limit heavily?

Are the two cards, both $50k and $10k, in the same co-brand family?

Are you prepared to provide the 4506-T, which seems likely to be requested when reaching $80k - $90k total limits?

When I got the Delta Reserve, they took $5k from the Delta Platinum, instantly. I reached $55k overall and noted they transferred the limit from one Delta card to another. This isn't exactly your situation obviously, but it seems to me likely that cards in the same co-brand sequence may be more likely to give and take between each other in this way.

NRB525,

No I don't use the cards heavily. The cards are presently a Cash Magnet and an Everyday card, have done product changes several times. Yes prepared to give them a 4506-T. I've had Amex cards for over 30 years and the've never asked for it. 

Yapsalot
Message 5 of 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I don't recall reallocations as part of the CLI process. But they seem to be happening with increasing frequency when new cards are issued. As mentioned above, don't worry about it. It's easy to reallocate limits again to get them where you want them.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.