Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be starting over?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will I be starting over?

Current utilization is hovering in the high 20% (legal fees only) and we've agreed to zero this ASAP.

Other than that, I expect my utilization to stabilize around 5%-10%.

Went to the Citibank prequalification site; got a hit for the Citibank Rewards+. Not sure how accurate this page is; wouldn't mind the Premier or something with more bang-for-buck.

Had never heard of AZERO... this site never fails to impress.

Thank you @AllZero and @Medic981

Message 11 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Going AZEO is "dressing" up your credit report. Optimizing it and squeezing out every last possible FICO point. Hopefully, offering you better rates and terms with the lender. Obviously, there's more to it than scores.

You have decent income. Your utilization is not horrible. Your only problem is to decide what card you want.

I'm not familiar with the Citi cards. Hopefully, more experienced members can advise.
Message 12 of 19
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is my "wishlist":

a) Preferably with an online bank so I can both get credit cards and grow to do business with said-bank.

b) Rewards to encourage travel.

a) So if you want an online bank, almost everything is online now so you're good on that no matter what you choose.

b) I would say pick whatever travel card you like the most but look out for a foreign transaction fee. Most travel cards don't have them but most non-travel cards do and it's usually around 3%. That could potentially eat up any cash back or points rewards you'd be gaining. Capital One's cards are all no-FTF. Then you just have to choose if you want to pay an annual fee, how much of a sign up bonus you want, etc.

AU

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check Chase prequal before you do anything else. Chase and Amex are widely regarded as the best travel card issuers but Chase is finicky with applications. You want them to be your first application.

Next I would look at AMEX. Since you already have Blue Cash EveryDay, log into your account and you can check and see if you’re prequalified to add additional products.

Citi prequal is said to be pretty solid so that may be an option for you too. Rewards+ isn’t a travel card though and it’s not really all that great unless you have a bunch of small charges to rack up points with.

If you do apply with Chase, don’t apply for more than one additional card for about 6 months. Chase doesn’t like excessive credit seeking and will close your accounts if you spook them.

I do like Capital One but I don’t personally see the value in Venture when compared to Chase, AMEX, or even Citi cards. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t think the OP has time to get to AZEO. With their SO closing cards and driving up utilization and the added cost of legal fees time is not on their side. Plus with a 740 that’s not necessary. They need to get their own cards ASAP while they are still benefiting from being an AU. 

Go to the major bank sites and try all the prequalify links. But don’t accept any offers yet. When you’re done make a list of the cards you qualified for and then decide on 2-3 that you want/need. Then go back to the sites and accp those offers. Good luck.

https://www.chase.com/prequalified

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/

https://www.citicards.com/cards/credit/application/flow.action?isInvitation=N

https://secure.bankofamerica.com/secure-offers/public/customizedOffers/?BCB

https://www.discovercard.com/application/fmo

*imho AZEO and installment loan tricks are overkill in this situation.

Message 15 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
Being an authorized user will not impact you with the lender. You're only being removed from the account. Only the primary user can close it.

Do you know your FICO scores? If not, use creditchecktotal.com to see where you stand. It's $1. Cancel in 7 days or less to avoid the reoccurring charge.

You have a lot of choices: BofA, Chase, Wells Fargo, AmEx, Credit Unions, etc. Be selective and research what you want. Whichever suits your spend.

+10

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 16 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

no you aren't starting over, if you have a mortgage on your report it's going to stay there, also you do have a credit score. you won't become unscorable.

the AU cards are going to fall off instantly though, so it's better if you sign up for a new card or two before those get closed. your scores will drop somewhat when they are closed.

things you can do:

check your fico8 credit scores

see how many pulls you have at each CRA and how old they are

check for prequals at all the major card sites

if the bank you got your mortgage from offers a card, thats a good place to try

^^^ this

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 17 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP and welcome to MyFICO

Honestly OP, I think you’re in great shape—way better than you think you are. 

The good thing is in the credit world you’re not starting over. You have a card or 2, you have no derogs, you have a credit history. You’ve been given some great advice about first checking prequal sites for preapprovals. I agree that AmX is a good first because you already have one and it will be a SP. 

GL2U. You’re on the right track. 

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you to all - you continue to provide wealth of information.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.