cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this raise red flags with Chase or will this count as a cash advance?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Will this raise red flags with Chase or will this count as a cash advance?

@Face_Value wrote:

I would not suggest buying gift cards to meet spending requirements. I have seen several posts and videos blaming doing this on getting their accounts closed. Accounts closed for "not using card as intended"

It really should depend on the amount. $1000 over a month, especially in several small purchases, should be fine, "normal" people buy gift card occasionally.   The amounts in MS are generally much much larger, and these are the ones that the issuers want to shut down.

Message 11 of 18
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

OP is working on two SUBs because "app spree"

Sorry to hear that.  I thought most board members had given up on app sprees as having more downsides than upsides.  OP's experience will be a good case study.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 12 of 18
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Some utility companies will issue a refund check if you have a credit balance sitting with them for too long. So if you have to prepay a utility bill you may luck out (it may take several months) but you may end up with a credit refund anyway.
Message 13 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@thatguycx wrote:

Okay so before, I've been helping out my friend with money every now and then via sending them money through either cashapp or PayPal. This was all done via my local credit union card and my Capital One Quick Silver card just because I want to avoid any possible red flags with Chase

My Chase card that I was auto-approved for about 2 months ago are new (the Sapphire Preferred), I got $1,500 left to spend before I can get the sign up bonus and I don't have much time left (about a month left).

Would it raise any red flags if I connected the CSP to PayPal or CashApp and sent my friend about a couple hundred or $1K? Not trying to churn or anything, I just figured I might as well earn some actual rewards if it don't raise any red flags or get charged cash advances.

It would be an impermissible way to meet the signup bonus. Don't do it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you trust your family members/friends, I would let them use the card as long as they pay you. That's how I met my amex gold and BCE bonus in 2 months haha, I just let my parents send me the money and they used the card. Free bonus without spending a penny.

Message 15 of 18
thatguycx
Valued Member

Using credit cards to send money to someone, is this a cash advance?

It's not a cash advance for my local credit union card or my capital one card, but I wanna stop using them for this since they don't offer anything for rewards or not much. I want to use my CSP to send money to a friend via Venmo, PayPal, cashapp etc sometimes but mostly Venmo. I already got the 60K SUB as of yesterday, so I'm not earning any big bonus for this. But as of last night, the 60K SUB just hit my statement.

Will this count as a cash advance? Also, will Chase shut my account down if I do this a few times even though I already have the sub? 

Message 16 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Using credit cards to send money to someone, is this a cash advance?

@thatguycx  I've merged your two threads dealing with nearly identical questions because it's already been answered. 

It will be treated as cash advance by Chase, and if you do it often enough, they really might start thinking you're using cash from one card to pay another card, or simply hurting for cash. 

Regardless of meeting the SUB, I suggest you read this thread again. 

Message 17 of 18
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

One legitimate option for meeting a SUB if you don't have the organic spend would be prepaying utilities.   Many electric, gas, phone, mobile phone, and cable bills can be paid months in advance.

+ 100

If you want to help your friend, pay his electric, gas, phone, mobile phone, and cable bills with your card.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.