Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes, you too can join PSECU and find out your EX FICO score! --well, maybe

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Yes, you too can join PSECU and find out your EX FICO score! --well, maybe

edit to add: as of 06/01/2011, the PRPS membership only works if you're a resident of Pennsylvania. Smiley Sad

Another organization has popped up that might work. You can skip to screen 43 (or later) to learn about this latest twist.

edited 6/10/2011

OK, now that one's a dud. Looks like this CU will wind up being pretty much restricted to Pennsylvania residents in most cases. Skip to this post.

Edited again 6/14/2011

PSECU has added a new qualifying organization. And I think it must be in response to all those who want to join to access their EX score, because it's a separate category on their site.

Go to www.psecu.org, click Join PSECU, click again on join PSECU (this time it's an option on a page), and click "Launch Application."

Enter your social and DOB.

I can't go farther, since I've already joined, but there is now a separate category called something like "Friend of Pennsylvania Recreation and Park Society or interested in joining." Click that, and sign up. It costs $20, and it says that your membership won't start until 1/1/2011, but it seems to be enough to do the job for PSECU membership. I think I clicked that I was interested in trails or something, but my category is "friend." I entered my out-of-state home and work addresses.

Then go back to the PSECU site and do the same as above, and this time enter that you're a member of PRPS. Sign up for share (you have to do this; it's how credit unions work) and checking <--you need checking or a credit product to see your score! I also signed up for online account access. You have to authorize a $6 pull from your bank ($5 for the share/ savings account and $1 for checking) There's a hard inq (don't know which, and I don't care), and you wait, and boom, you're in.

Oh, and when it asks if you want to print out your app or have them mail it to you, write down your new membership number first, because you won't be able to get back to it. Smiley Tongue I'll have to call in the morning.

It took for-absolutely-ever for me to go through the whole process, because I'm away from home and using a hotel internet access, but I suspect also that they're already bogged down from those who've discovered this.

Just a general plea to all: after all the posts I've read over the last three (wow, three, really??) years about joining frenzies for Justice FCU and CCCU and PenFed and Alliant and all the others: things will bog down. It will take time. Be patient. Be kind to the CSR's who probably don't know what's about to hit them. Don't call and pester and beg about CC's and auto loans and whatever. Let them process all the apps through and get to you when they can. They're just chumps like you and I, making $10.50 an hour or whatever, and they don't need a bunch of hysterical phone calls. Give it time!

As long as we can FINALLY!!! see our EX FICO's again, I can certainly wait for any additional goodies. Smiley Happy

Thumbs up to both PSECU and to Pennsylvania Recreation and Parks, who now has a handy income stream to keep their no-doubt-wonderful state park system going. Hey, California tried to legalize pot, just so they could tax it and keep the budget afloat, so it's not the oddest source of funding ever known.

And many thanks to my pm buddy who clued me in on this! Smiley Wink

edited to fix name of qualifying org, which is Recreation and Park, not Park and Recreation.

edited again to clarify the importance of signing up for checking (or applying for credit, which didn't come up on my application process) to see your EX FICO score. Thanks to gbishere for pointing this out!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 731
730 REPLIES 730
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Yes, you too can join PSECU and find out your EX FICO score!

OK, they harded me on Experian, which makes sense. (just checked via my USAA CreditCheckMonitoring service)

And no, I've no idea what they want in terms of membership application, and I'm a long ways away from deciding whether I want a CC or any other PSECU credit product. I'm in it for the EX score, plain and simple.

* drools *

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 731
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the info HTSU but I'm not sure if I want to spend $26 to find out what my EX score is. It was just fine a year ago and I don't believe it's gotten any worse.

But I'm a cheapskate.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 731
Anonymous
Not applicable

My signed application is already in the mail :-) for two days now. 

My only mistake was I only signed up for a savings. You need a checkings or credit product from them in order to see your Experian fico. I will not be able to apply for a credit card from them for 3-6 months so that sort of stinks. But I'm not sure if they will open up a checkings without another hard pull. I might try that. 

Just a heads up to everyone. I also completely agree to be patient. They are going to get an abnormal amount of applications and they might start to get a little irritated after a week of it. So lets give them all the respect and patience that we can. 

Message 4 of 731
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@marinevietvet --

You get your EX score every month. This might be the cheapest credit score monitoring service that you'll ever signup for.

Message 5 of 731
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@stan_the_man wrote:

@MarineVietVet --

You get your EX score every month. This might be the cheapest credit score monitoring service that you'll ever signup for.

Oh I understand what you're saying and it really is a good deal but I'm just not interested. My TU and EQ scores are high enough and I'm confident my EX score has not declined in the last year. As long as I continue to do the right things my scores will do just fine and I will only check them perhaps twice a year or so.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 731
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@marinevietvet --

I'm in the same position as you, though I am a little interested in seeing where DW stands.

Now, I'm going to research to see if they would be a good match for her.

Message 7 of 731
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

My signed application is already in the mail :-) for two days now. 

My only mistake was I only signed up for a savings. You need a checkings or credit product from them in order to see your Experian fico. I will not be able to apply for a credit card from them for 3-6 months so that sort of stinks. But I'm not sure if they will open up a checkings without another hard pull. I might try that. 

Just a heads up to everyone. I also completely agree to be patient. They are going to get an abnormal amount of applications and they might start to get a little irritated after a week of it. So lets give them all the respect and patience that we can. 

Thanks for reminding us of this! I went back and edited my original post in an attempt to emphasize this.

Everyone, go ahead and click the I-want-checking option. They'll only pull $1 to fund your checking account. I didn't even get an option to make it more, although I was ready to throw $100 at them.

Message 8 of 731
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I am out of this credit building business madness and let experian say what ever it want to say about my scores.  I learned good principles at this forum. Keep debt low, keep good limits, pay ontime and have good life. I came long way from where I was to where I am now. Thank you FicoForums for all your help and advice.

Message 9 of 731
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@stan_the_man wrote:

@MarineVietVet --

Oh I understand what you're saying and it really is a good deal but I'm just not interested. My TU and EQ scores are high enough and I'm confident my EX score has not declined in the last year. As long as I continue to do the right things my scores will do just fine and I will only check them perhaps twice a year or so.

I hear ya on this! But you weren't around (at least, I don't think) in the old days, when we could see all our FICO scores, and we pulled TrueCredit daily to update our reports, and an astonishing number of members whined and groused about having to wait 24 hours + 1 minute to refresh their reports so they had a second monitoring service so they could pull all three twice every day, and we posted and argued and obsessed about every change on every report and in every score for the slightest update. Smiley Very Happy All I can say is, I'm sure that we were pariahs in any neighborhood cocktail parties.

I thought I was over all this, but like an old fire department horse, once I smelled smoke, I started kicking the walls of my stall. Smiley Wink

By golly, I have an EX FICO score, and I want to see it!

Message 10 of 731
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.