Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You thoughts....

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You thoughts....

Thinking about getting a Barclay Apple card, but don't know if I should pull the trigger.

EQ  Completely Clean  

TU  1-30 day, 3 years old.  It's a closed Discover, but it's 20 years old so leaving it be.

EX  Same Discover, plus a 5 y/o CO from HSBC.  I think it's still on there, don't really know, Quizzle took a big jump.  Might have to order that report just to see what's on there.

Cap1  AU from DW  $1K limit 5 months old

Walmart GE $600 3 months old

Lowes GE $650  2 months old.

I got the Walmart and Lowes before I got the COs cleaned off this past month and had a 60 point increase on TU.

2 mortgages, one will be 15 years old in March and paid off, never late.  Other is 15 months old, never late.

1 current car loan, 1 year old, never late

5 paid off car loans, paid never late.

3 paid and closed CCs about 8 years old, paid as agreed.  no negatives

Income is 120K+  

What's your thoughts?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Re: You thoughts....

Well Barclays only pulls TU so you can forget about the other CRAs.  Also ask yourself how much will you use your card after the initial 0% interest period?  If the answer is not much at all I would opt for a 0% intro period rewards card.  The Apple card has no rewards and low limits.  Just know that this card will have no use if you never plan to buy another apple product except to help with utilization.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 2 of 14
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 3 of 14
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

They don't advertise it, but the promo financing is on-going. Not an every day thing, but many times a year they offer it to current cardholders. 

Besides promo financing I've gotten a few offers that were worth like 2% on all purchases that month, $10 back after usage, etc.

The interest rate is high (22.9) if you aren't using a promo offer. They give CLI's reasonably easy, and in the future if/when you want another Barclay product they are usually going about reallocating credit lines if you've grown your Apple card to a higher limit than you need and you want more on the new card.

It's not a great product, but it does have some sure beyond the account opening promo.

Message 4 of 14
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

Well Barclays only pulls TU so you can forget about the other CRAs.  Also ask yourself how much will you use your card after the initial 0% interest period?  If the answer is not much at all I would opt for a 0% intro period rewards card.  The Apple card has no rewards and low limits.  Just know that this card will have no use if you never plan to buy another apple product except to help with utilization.

I agreed with flowfaster. The card has no rewards. Are you planning to buy apple product and get the promo?

I'm not sure what other cards you have, but I am sure you have one that offer a nice rewards or cashback.

With 120k income, I would run it through a card with a nice reward or cash back than PIF.

I was in your possition few months ago, I talk myself out of it and got Chase Freedom instead.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 5 of 14
madmann26
Valued Contributor

You don't need the card.....you make to much money.

*chuckle*

App for it...if denied, recon for it or waste the pull on a Chase Freedom.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 6 of 14
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure about Chase,  I had 2 accounts with them, they closed the accounts but I still paid them direct, no CA.  I don't know if I'll be on their blacklist or not.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 14
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Not sure about Chase,  I had 2 accounts with them, they closed the accounts but I still paid them direct, no CA.  I don't know if I'll be on their blacklist or not.

If you paid them I doubt they have you blacklisted, if they do all you have to do is send a goodwill letter, they're pretty good about that. My friend's mom defaulted on $6000 she settled for $1,500 and I wrote a letter out for her saying sorry and explained her situation (grandmother died, and she left the country etc) and completely forgot to pay the bills on time, she set automatic payments on what she thought was all her accounts, but somehow forgot Chase. Anyways they let her back in =)

I think the only thing Chase really blacklists for is people who abuse their programs to steal from them in large amounts. (exploiting the rewards program etc)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 14
aplast
Regular Contributor

@bostonte wrote:

They don't advertise it, but the promo financing is on-going. Not an every day thing, but many times a year they offer it to current cardholders. 

Besides promo financing I've gotten a few offers that were worth like 2% on all purchases that month, $10 back after usage, etc.

The interest rate is high (22.9) if you aren't using a promo offer. They give CLI's reasonably easy, and in the future if/when you want another Barclay product they are usually going about reallocating credit lines if you've grown your Apple card to a higher limit than you need and you want more on the new card.

It's not a great product, but it does have some sure beyond the account opening promo.

+1 I got something in the mail last week about holiday promo 18 months 0%.

I also called them up when I was ready to buy a macbook, and they actually extended the 0% offer to me just for asking about it.  the joke was on them when I paid it off early.

OP There are quite a few options out there for you.especially with your income. You could have a good chance with getting an amex.

Message 9 of 14
distantarray
Established Contributor

like everyone stated, excellent income, and MUCH better cards out there.... Virtually almost any Citi card these days comes with a 0% for 12 months offer right now I believe, and has sign up bonuses like 40k TY points with the preferred right now etc

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.