Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zync with Spending Limit is a lost cause

tag
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

Zync with Spending Limit is a lost cause

As you know from a couple of threads back i was approved for a Discover Card, I also have a Chase Freedom and a Capital One Cash Rewards.

But my oldest card is the Zync, i have had this one for over 2 years and during that time have pushed over 30K in purchases while also never being late on a payment, Amex however still have me on a $500 limit and will not remove it, they also do not want to approve me for any other card (I have applied for the Gold 3 times, last time being on January of this year).

Apart from that the rewards on the zync are not good, the 1 point per dollar is less than 1% when redeemed for a gift card, now that they are discontinuing the packs it is even worse. the card also has an AF while my Chase and Discover do not, even my Capital One has better rewards (1.5% cashback), when you add all of this up i came to the conclusion that the zync is actually not a good card at all.

Just wanted to share my bad experience with the zync and with amex overall.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Zync with Spending Limit is a lost cause

Sorry for your bad experience with the Zync Unicorn!  But the best part is that you have the history with AMEX and the only way to get approved for another AMEX is to close the Zync and applied for another card. But best part with AMEX is that you can get your new card backdated.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 25
eviLution
Established Contributor

I read that Amex will deny you for other products if you have a Zync with a hard limit. You're gonna have to cancel it. T_T

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not a lost cause. I have been just too lazy to set up an account and post, but i thought it would be helpful to give my experience.

I have had Zync since 2011 with 200 spending limit. Everytime i would apply i would get denied.On Feb 5, 2013 I applied for Amex Sky and it denied me saying that i had a Zync. During all this time, i was logging in into my account and then applying from there, so that I wouldnt have to enter in my all info again.

Two days ago, i received the letter about Zync discountinuace. I decided to try it one more time and go for the Delta so i could get the 30K miles offer. BUT INSTEAD of applying through my account, i applied through the website, entering the all information without logging in. I got the 7-10 days message and later found out i was approved for 1K. My Karma has me at 650,  but Walmart has me at 690 i believe. No baddies.

Here is the history from amex:

11/29/12
DELTA SKYMILES CREDIT CARD FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS
Declined
To view the full decision details click here
12/02/12
AMERICAN EXPRESS PREFERRED REWARDS GREEN CARD
Cancelled
02/05/13
BLUE SKY FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS
Declined
02/07/13
DELTA SKYMILES CREDIT CARD FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days. 
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer

February 05, 2013

Reference:  2013036 60 0**** USD

Dear Eee15,

Thank you for your recent application.  We were unable to approve your request for the following reason:

Because you have the ZYNCSM Card with a spending limit, we cannot open another American Express card account for you at this time.

An important notice concerning your rights is included.  The creditor is American Express Centurion Bank.

We hope you are enjoying the benefits and services of your ZYNC Card.

If you have any questions, please call 1-800-567-1083 or write to us at the address above. To learn more about protecting your credit, visit our Consumer Resources page at www.americanexpress.com/consumerresources.

Sincerely,

Robert Garinger

SVP Global New Accounts

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

So based on my experience, two things might have happened for me to get approved:

1) Amex changed their policy after they mailed out the letter re: zyng discountinuance. 

2) if you apply without logging in into your account, you can trick the system to not match your ZYNC card info and therefore, get approved.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied for one more amex, to use for everyday use, since it doesnt have annual fee: 

02/08/13
BLUE CASH EVERYDAY(SM)
Approved

Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days. 
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer

That makes it 12 inquires on my experian Smiley Tongue

GO AHEAD AND APPLY PEOPLE!!! 

Message 6 of 25
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

But you have a $200 spending limit. Is that different than the $500 somehow? Did you ever get a choice between which spending limit to have? I thought I remember a post about the $200 and $500 Zyncs being different. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

they gave me the option of 200 or 500 with full direct payment from the bank. I took the 200.

Message 8 of 25
chnceit
Valued Contributor

WOW eee15 this is great news and AMEX could have changed policies. Congrats on your apporvals

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 9 of 25
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

I have actually seen many $200 zync holders get approved for other cards, i think the problem may be directly related to the $500 version.

Calling amex also doesn't help as they have no clue of this issue, The only difference i see between both cards is that the $500 Zync has autopay, I don't know how that would cause any issue.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.