Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

american express suggestions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: american express suggestions

I don't need an american express card. I kept reading that they have great rewards. Just thought I'd hear some opinions. What are other great rewards credit cards for good, but not excellent credit?
Message 11 of 23
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Penfed.
Message 12 of 23
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

I like my chase freedom card, It is very easy to earn cash back. My mother just got a discover more card last month and it seems like a good card.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 23
tray
Valued Contributor

Hi, have you tried the american express pre-selected card site to see if for curiousity if any card shows up for you.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Message 14 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

kents wrote:
I don't need an american express card. I kept reading that they have great rewards....

This is one of those beliefs that keep floating around. IMO, AmEx has pretty crappy rewards, other than for the Costco True Earnings card.

Blue Cash requires you to spend $6500, I think it is, at very low rewards before hitting the higher level. And on midnight of December 1, you have to start all over again. So it's good for those who will use it for their one-and-only card, running a ton of money through it, but otherwise, it's real average.

Gold Preferred Rewards gives double points for the first year, but after that, it's single points, plus then you have to start paying the fee. If the fee is $165 (I think that's the amount), you'd have to charge $16,500 on the card every year just to cover the fee.

Yes, heavy, heavy travelers can rack up good rewards, but most of us aren't on the road for 2 and 3 weeks of every month. I'd get one if I ever switch into traveling consulting.

Where American Express shines is in their general quality of customer service and their support for travelers. If you're one of those who live in the departure lounge, tapping away at the laptop and BB, then they're great. Otherwise, I think the rest of the masses can do better elsewhere.

General note: whenever you read about an awesome rewards card, find out the details of it, and then plug it into your own life situation. Even my beloved PenFed Plat would be kinda silly for someone who doesn't drive or otherwise buy gas. Although even then, 2% on groceries and 1.25% on everything else, redeemed monthly, ain't bad for these days.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 23
smallfry
Senior Contributor

That's why I don't care to get the Pentagon Rewards Card. I am lucky enough to get my gas paid for at work. One of the last perks left.
Message 16 of 23
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Rewards are a nice perk, but don't change your life just so you can get 1-2% back.  It's nice, but should not be the driver in which card you get.
Message 17 of 23
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

General note: whenever you read about an awesome rewards card, find out the details of it, and then plug it into your own life situation.

Well said and good advice!

I have the Amex Clear which gives a flat 1% on all purchases. Clearly not the best rewards card, but as a college student who doesn't spend very much, I find it very nice that I only have to spend $2500 before I get to cash in.

I've also had very good experiences with Amex as far as customer service and their Purchase Protection programs go. All of my large purchases and Ebay purchases go on my Amex card.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Kents,

I just got my Schwab Invest First Visa, and I think it could have better rewards than AMEX cards. It's 2% back on all purchases, but it deposits the 2% into a brokerage account. I figure I should invest while I'm young and let that money sit. I can always take it out if I needed it. I'd recommend checking it out.

-UncleJ 

Message 19 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
That's why I don't care to get the Pentagon Rewards Card. I am lucky enough to get my gas paid for at work. One of the last perks left.

But, you can use the PenFed Rewards card to get free cellular phone protection coverage.  

Message Edited by DI on 10-13-2009 08:18 AM
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.