Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying payments with variable interest rates

tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

applying payments with variable interest rates

With the changes in the law in 2009 can someone confirm if I have this correct please. For example say I have the following balance on a credit card:

$100 at 0%

$100 at 10% interest

minimum interest is $2/mnth

minimum payment $25

I pay $100 that month. The first $2 goes to pay the interest, the rest of the $23 of the minimum payment can go wherever the CCC wants to apply it (obv they would choose the 0% APR). The other $75 must go to the 10% interest balance as per the CCA2009 . 

So the new balnace would be

$77 @ 0%

$25 @ 10%

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: applying payments with variable interest rates

@compassion101 wrote:

With the changes in the law in 2009 can someone confirm if I have this correct please. For example say I have the following balance on a credit card:

$100 at 0%

$100 at 10% interest

minimum interest is $2/mnth

minimum payment $25

I pay $100 that month. The first $2 goes to pay the interest, the rest of the $23 of the minimum payment can go wherever the CCC wants to apply it (obv they would choose the 0% APR). The other $75 must go to the 10% interest balance as per the CCA2009 . 

So the new balnace would be

@$77 @ 0%

@$25 @ 10%

It depends:

If the 0% is a defferred interest deal, then it all has to go to the 10%, unless you are within 60 days of experiration then it all goes to deffered interest.

Not sure if it does not expire.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.