Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chase switch and bait

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: chase switch and bait

Look for Hyatt hotels in categories 5 and higher.  That will give you the same redemption value (or above) over two nights.  I think there is a Park Hyatt resort in California which looks pretty nice.  Perhaps that's a candidate?  Just watch out for resort fees though...  I used my free nights for two nights at the Park Hyatt New York.  Totally amazing hotel and location.  I highly recommend it.  It was an amazing vacation, I got to see a lot of amazing shows (check out the app called TodayTix for cheap last-minute tickets--highly worth it for a lot of different locations if you like broadway/theater; I saw the Book of Mormon for $100), eat lots of delicious food, and had outstanding service at the hotel.

Message 11 of 21
negg
Frequent Contributor

So you applied for a Hyatt travel card, but have no idea where any hyatts are ??   Why did you apply for this card ? Sorta confused on this. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 12 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

+1 negg, valid pointSmiley Wink
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@negg wrote:

So you applied for a Hyatt travel card, but have no idea where any hyatts are ??   Why did you apply for this card ? Sorta confused on this. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, OP, but I think OP's point is that he got the Hyatt card with the intention of staying at Hyatt hotels when he travels within his home state, and it sounds like those would be hotels where the 40,000 point offer is a better deal.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no right or wrong answer as to which offer is better.  For some like myself the 2 free nights works great like it did for the Park Hyatt in Sydney in December.  For others who have no plans to stay at a Category 5 location then they probably can make better use of the 40K points.

Message 15 of 21
sdchrgrboy
Contributor

btw, I believe the correct term is bait and switch,  As in they draw you in with the something (the bait) and then swich it to something else.  Not sure how someone can swith you then bait you. lol.

Smiley Wink

$325k Total Limits, 4% Util
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you really want to pursue the 40k points over the 2 nights go into a branch and show the screenshots. A banker can then email them to their backoffice who will make the switch for you. But I would just double check if that's what you really want, because as many others have said in many situations the 2 nights may be worth more than the points.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked and most of the properties I want to stay at is 20K a night anyway. If I ever decided to just crash at a 8K points hyatt, then that's the flexbility i'd like over 2 nights.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, are you keeping the 2 nights?

Message 19 of 21
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked and most of the properties I want to stay at is 20K a night anyway. If I ever decided to just crash at a 8K points hyatt, then that's the flexbility i'd like over 2 nights.

Just out of curiousity what does an 8k Hyatt look like?

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.