Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crazy Amex backdating question

tag
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

crazy Amex backdating question

I had an Amex in college back in the days when I destroyed my credit.  I want to backdate my membership to that date, but they can't seem to locate the account.  Someone in another forum mentioned that they were able to convince them to do this without them locating an account. Has anyone heard of or dealt with a situation similar to this?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Re: crazy Amex backdating question

Happened to me. You just have to be persistent. 

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 2 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@ceemee2203 wrote:

Same scenario as OP, but different result from above.  Guess it depends on the decade OP and above are talking about !

I had an AMEX Green card waaaaay back in the day, after getting out of college and on my own and got my first AMEX in 1976.  Let it lapse for lack of use. Fast forward to 1991, when I applied again, got another Green card, but "abused" it and had account closed.  Fast forward to 2000s, tried again for AMEX and got the Clear/Zync cards, and got the backdate to 1991 since my internal files were clean.  I asked them about backdating to 1976 several times, but they couldn't find evidence of my account that far back, so no go on backdating that far.

Message 3 of 8
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@ceemee2203 wrote:

Same scenario as OP, but different result from above.  Guess it depends on the decade OP and above are talking about !

I had an AMEX Green card waaaaay back in the day, after getting out of college and on my own and got my first AMEX in 1976.  Let it lapse for lack of use. Fast forward to 1991, when I applied again, got another Green card, but "abused" it and had account closed.  Fast forward to 2000s, tried again for AMEX and got the Clear/Zync cards, and got the backdate to 1991 since my internal files were clean.  I asked them about backdating to 1976 several times, but they couldn't find evidence of my account that far back, so no go on backdating that far.

They also told me that they needed evidence.  I know for a fact that I had one freshman year of college.  I bought a Nintendo 64 with it as my first purchase.

Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Message 4 of 8
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

There's an AMEX Research & Recovery number you could try 1-800-700-7619.  They might have better luck finding your old account than the typical CSR number.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 5 of 8
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

I had an Amex in college back in the days when I destroyed my credit.  I want to backdate my membership to that date, but they can't seem to locate the account.  Someone in another forum mentioned that they were able to convince them to do this without them locating an account. Has anyone heard of or dealt with a situation similar to this?

Ahem. Smiley Happy

I think the reason I got them to do it was that I was only asking to backdate for another 12 months.  I figured I had gotten my original Green card back in the spring of '88.  My Gold came in March of '89 and in those days, it seemed that they closed the old account and just opened a new one, starting over.  Back-office computer systems to make a seemless transition were a lot cruder back then.

If you're asking for five or 10 years, that may be a bit more of a problem.  But I agree...if the phone number from the archive group can help, that's your best option.

Message 6 of 8
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Thanks all.  I'm just trying to find every possible solution.

Message 7 of 8
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

I was made an AU of a biz card in 12/11 (my first AMEX). They couldn't find my info but still backdated me to 05/08.

I did provide them with the card number, however, but she never found the account.

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.