Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hotel credit card

tag
bRICrEAW
New Contributor

hotel credit card

What are the best credit cards to use for hotels for people without preference for a brand? I usually stay at hotels that are convenient and don't necessarily stick to a brand. I am currently Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, and Mariott Platinum Elite. I don't fly often, but I spend a lot on hotels. Or would it be a better strategy to try to focus on a brand and get a brand-specific card?  I have been spending a lot on hotels, so I'm trying to figure out a better strategy. Fico scores are around 810.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: hotel credit card

If you're not loyal to a particular brand, then yes, you either have to pick one to focus on, or get a general travel card such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve or the Amex Platinum. But you have to look at the multipliers and perks of each one and run the numbers for your spend to see if they're worth it because their annual fees are pretty hefty.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You base your choices on convenience, which suggests a broad-based travel card or a card wtih an enhanced caregory that includes hotels  like for example the BoA CCR travel category might be a better natural fit right now than a brand-specific hotel card.

Do you book your hotels directly through each hotel/hotel chains' web site, a more traditional booking agency like American Express Travel, an OTA like Tripadvisor or Expedia, or ?

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 14
bRICrEAW
New Contributor

I usually book through the hotel website directly. I also think that I may be still banned from BoA

Message 4 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For racking up hotel points with the particular chains, paying with a Hilton card from Amex or a Marriott card from Amex or Chase would probably be your best bet.  In the case of Marriott, you would also get an additional 15 elite night credits which might be worth it if that pushes you toward Titanium rather than Platinum status.

Since you won't usually receive elite night credits when booking through an OTA which could affect your current statuses, cards with elevated travel portal earnings might be best avoided.   Amex Green, Citi Premier, and Chase Sapphire Preferred all have very reasonable annual fees and earn on direct hotel purchases (3x on the first two and 2x on the latter).   Sapphire Reserve has a much heftier annual fee, but would present you with additional benefits and earn 3x.

Message 5 of 14
dragontears
Senior Contributor

If you have no hotel brand loyalty, go for a card with a general "travel" category. 

If you like to play in the points world pick a card the has the points type you like (MR, UR, TYP).

If you prefer cash, a few cards off the top of my head Sam's MC, Costco visa, Navy Flagship, Penfed pathfinder, BoA (as mentioned earlier but you said you wouldn't qualify) US Bank AR, and many more.

Message 6 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Those are all great suggestions as well, although with Altitude Reserve it's important to note that a Real Time 50% bonus for direct purchases with hotels does require a minimum $500 redemption to get the effective 4.5% back on 3x categories, otherwise it is only 3%.

Message 7 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

For racking up hotel points with the particular chains, paying with a Hilton card from Amex or a Marriott card from Amex or Chase would probably be your best bet.  In the case of Marriott, you would also get an additional 15 elite night credits which might be worth it if that pushes you toward Titanium rather than Platinum status.

Since you won't usually receive elite night credits when booking through an OTA which could affect your current statuses, cards with elevated travel portal earnings might be best avoided.   Amex Green, Citi Premier, and Chase Sapphire Preferred all have very reasonable annual fees and earn on direct hotel purchases (3x on the first two and 2x on the latter).   Sapphire Reserve has a much heftier annual fee, but would present you with additional benefits and earn 3x.

We were thinking along the same lines.

My first thoughts were the Premier and the CSP since they respectively have Wyndham and Marriott as travel partners and since OP organically earns hotel status but is not a frequent flyer perks like lounge access and mid-tier hotel status offer diminished value.

Premier for the win because of the 3X TYP on hotel spend, ability to now transfer to Wyndham as a travel partner (1:1), and relative ease to cash out TYP at a penny a point (not to mention since there is minimal air travel the 3X TYP on gas purchases may be relevant).

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 14
collics
Established Contributor

I've been pondering this as well for the future. Not loyal to any specific hotel or airline.

I'll choose either NFCU Flagship, or Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Leaning towards the CSP but need to do more research on booking thru their portal. Not sure if it's the same as 3rd party sites like Expedia which are a nightmare when changes need to be made. 

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 9 of 14
bRICrEAW
New Contributor

That was a concern I had as well.  It doesn't seem like the prices on those portals are anything special either. I have not checked very often, so I can't be completely sure

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.