cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

minimum payment *to start* (followed by another)?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

minimum payment *to start* (followed by another)?

I've read that credit card companies frown on making minimum payments, and that doing so could result in that issuer (if not other issuers) keeping a closer eye on your file (if not taking nastier AA steps).

Any issue with making the minimum payment (very) early in the payment cycle, followed by a much larger payment later in the billing period when  discretionary income is better known?

The concrete scenario: I've consolidated my debt from a few cards to one no-fee BT,  0% card.  I plan to pay the balance off well before the 0% offer expires, but don't want to even think about coming close to missing the minimum payment due date, so I'm inclined to pay the minimum immediately upon the statement cutting, followed by another, much larger payment later in the billing period.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: minimum payment *to start* (followed by another)?

No expert here, but id imagine it shouldnt be a problem . You are making the minimum payment and then still making additional payments so thats creating a payment history.
Message 2 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

As long as your payments fall in the same billing cycle, you should be OK as they will all be reflected on the same statement for the previous 30 day activity.
Honestly, I don't even think that a month or two of a minimum payment would harm you, especially if you alternate (one month minimum, one month extra payments).
Message 3 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

What I do is divide the amount owed by the number of 0% months offered. I then set up an autopay for that amount ( few days before due date) and length of time. They get much more than the minimum payments and no worries of late payments on my end.
From there, I can pay extra when ever the moment feels right. It ain't rocket science.😉
Message 4 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

What's frowned upon is paying *only* the minimum payment, although one should be able to get by with it here and there.

What the OP is proposing is a great idea, though, as he is paying beyond the minimum before the cycle is done.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see no harm in someone occasionally paying only the minimum if the overall bal is decreasing.
Paying only the minimum every month and continuing to run up the balance...that would bad.
Message 6 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

wrote:
I see no harm in someone occasionally paying only the minimum if the overall bal is decreasing.
Paying only the minimum every month and continuing to run up the balance...that would bad.

I agree, but choose wisely the creditors to do this with. From what I've seen in the forum. The two I wouldn't do this with unless  I have no other choice is Amex and Synchrony bank. They'll slash limits or block clis until payment history is to their liking.

Message 7 of 9
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Thanks, all.

My 'extra' payment approach is in keeping with Gmood1's recommendation, less the autopay.  I'm autopay averse, probably for no good reason. (Well, actually, the reason is that should there ever not be enough for the payment, that'd be a failed payment, which would be really bad.. When I make a payment, I want to be confident that it'll clear.)

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 8 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Canuck you're big money!  You don't worry about no stinkin payments. lol

Those auto payments will keep you honest and make you watch your budget more closely.

Cancelling the full payment option and changing it to minimum payments takes only a few minutes.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.