Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raise limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

raise limit?

Hi!
I have managed to raise my score to excellent after it not being so good.  I have a fairly new card and sometimes my balance owed is more than 10%.  I always pay it off and never pay finance charges.  I am thinking I should raise my credit limit which shouldn't be a problem since I think I've had the card long enough.  Is this a good idea?  Will they check my credit report to do this?
Thanks,
Marybeth
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: raise limit?

Which card are you talking about? Some will hard you for a CLI, some will soft you.

I'm moving your thread to Credit Cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Depends on your credit report and the credit card issuer.

I would suggest that you call Customer Service and request a credit limit increase without the issuer pulling a hard inquiry.  Some will and some will not.

Be polite, but persistent, even if you have to speak with a Supervisor or Management.

Good Luck

Message 3 of 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If its Chase its a hard pull for almost everyone. Citi you might find one waiting. Who be the issuer?
Message 4 of 5
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Some CCCs do a hard, some do a soft, and some do it based entirely on account history. It depends on the card issuer.
Here we go again...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.