Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgraded from quick silver one to quick silver

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

upgraded from quick silver one to quick silver

So i upgraded my quicksilver one to the quick silver no annual fee. I had the option of venture and venture one. I don't travel much so primarily will just use the rewards. I like the no annual fee as well. IS there a reason i should be kicking myself for not picking either of the venture cards? I also had a platnium that i upgraded to the QS so now i have 2 quick silvers, so i almost got the venture so i could have a diffrent card but like the no AF plus i don't travel to much.  Any input would be great! thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Re: upgraded from quick silver one to quick silver

I think you did fine as you got rid of an annual fee card. The venture rewards are OK bit if they ain't paying a SUB it's not worth going to them.
Message 2 of 31
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Great work, @Anonymous. QuicksilverOnes are hard to upgrade.

Now that you've upgraded and gotten rid of the fee, you'll have options should you change your mind down the road. You won't see any product-change offers for at least six months. But sometime after that, you'll likely start to see options similar to what you saw this time around.

On a rewards basis alone, the Venture requires 19k of spending before it beats Quicksilver's 1.5%. The VentureOne's 1.25% doesn't match Quicksilver. And Venture/VentureOne miles are harder to redeem than Quicksilver's cash. To make the best use of either of those cards, you'd have to benefit from the hotels.com reward or the transfer partners.

So we can possibly help others who wish to upgrade, what was your usage like on your QS1? Did you use it each and every month over a long period of time? The reason I ask is that a handful of datapoints suggest that X number of consecutive months of usage may be a key to triggering an upgrade offer.

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use it pretty heavily every month. My uti is usually 25 to 10% in the 1 1/2 I had it. I usaully pay 2 times a month or more so i can earn some decent rewards. It started at 500sl and is now at 5250cl. ALso for another data points my platnum went QS after 7months pretty much same data points as qs1 and same usage minus the upgrade was quicker. My advice is use it all the time and keep below 30% and always pay on time obviously.

QS1 to QS

data points-

9-15-2017    500sl

12-15-2017   +100cli new line- 600

3-15-2018 steps complete +150 new line 750

9-15-2018 +1500cli new line 2250

3-15-2019 +3000cli new line 5250

3-15-2019 upgraded to QS no annual fee.

platinum to QS

2-5-2018 500sl

5-5-2018 +100cli new line- 600

8-5-2018 steps complete +150 new line 750

9-5-2018 upgraded to QS no annual fee.

2-5-2018 +1500cli new line 2250

Message 4 of 31
LandoCredrissian
New Contributor

Nice job. That is an elusive upgrade. And thanks for the detailed DP's. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 31
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

VentureOne is the worst card.

I like Venture but I am grandfathered at $59 AF and have a $400 monthly bill that is somehow classified as travel.  LOL!

Nothing wrong with No AF QS with NO FTF and 1.5% cash back!

BTW - 95% of my 0% offers are on my QS card, so there is that too!

Congrats!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Now that you've upgraded and gotten rid of the fee, you'll have options should you change your mind down the road. You won't see any product-change offers for at least six months. But sometime after that, you'll likely start to see options similar to what you saw this time around.

On a rewards basis alone, the Venture requires 19k of spending before it beats Quicksilver's 1.5%. The VentureOne's 1.25% doesn't match Quicksilver. And Venture/VentureOne miles are harder to redeem than Quicksilver's cash. To make the best use of either of those cards, you'd have to benefit from the hotels.com reward or the transfer partners.

So we can possibly help others who wish to upgrade, what was your usage like on your QS1? Did you use it each and every month over a long period of time? The reason I ask is that a handful of datapoints suggest that X number of consecutive months of usage may be a key to triggering an upgrade offer.

Venture gives you 2 pts for every $ spent.  Each pt is worth 1 cent towards travel.  That's 2% in my book which is greater than 1.5%.  Venture outrewards QS from the first penny spent.

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

VentureOne is the worst card.

I like Venture but I am grandfathered at $59 AF and have a $400 monthly bill that is somehow classified as travel.  LOL!

Nothing wrong with No AF QS with NO FTF and 1.5% cash back!

BTW - 95% of my 0% offers are on my QS card, so there is that too!

Congrats!

Venture One actually is a pretty good card.  No AF, never use it except for the 10x on hotels.com which amounts to 20% off.  Just use the 10x points as a 10% credit towards the hotel stay you used to earn the points.  That's it.  Don't use it for anything else besides maybe a quarterly Hulu payment or something just to keep the carda live.  Doesn't make sense to use it for anything else, but that 10x on hotels.com is a game changer and easier to use than anything.

Message 8 of 31
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would agree that VentureOne is a good card in one specific instance.  

Other than hotels.com (which I have never used) QS or Venture is better.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Venture gives you 2 pts for every $ spent.  Each pt is worth 1 cent towards travel.  That's 2% in my book which is greater than 1.5%.  Venture outrewards QS from the first penny spent.

That's true for the first year when the AF is waived.   Once it hits, you need the $19K to offset the fee.    Of course, if you compare to a free 2% card, the Venture cannot compete on pure cashback rewards.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.