Apple Card to offer financing for iPads, Macs, and other products

tag
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Apple Card to offer financing for iPads, Macs, and other products

@Revelate wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

If it is your laptop knock yourself out.

If it is a corporate laptop anything you do on it is theirs, regardless if you think they are watching or not if using it for stuff you would prefer your boss not knowing about, don't.

Frankly I don't understand the wear and tear argument anyway, it is not a car rusting out.  Computers last decades other than accidents and just getting too slow.

Most companies could care less and don't want to cyber nanny your laptop.

As for older laptops, with more and more applications being published on the cloud or hosted by your company's infrastructure, the need for refreshes of laptops becomes less and less unless you code on your own machine, do graphics, are a gamer, etc..

Probably half of the places I've been (and I've been at over 30 different places) cared, and I was one of the ones care and feeding those systems.

I think it's far more prevalant than you think it is, I have no need to cyber nanny anyone's laptop that's somewhat new technology in the grand scheme of things, nor do I need your browser history... you go through my pipe, if I (or my boss cares) I know what you're up to even if I can't see the specific data because of encryption, the IP headers are not in most environments (those using IPSEC or MACSEC internally not withstanding but that's a really small population and those that do, are monitoring your desktop fo sho), it's that simple.

End of the day there are potentially employment and even legal ramifications for using a work laptop for anything not directly related to performing your job at that place of employment.  Anyone not heeding that, it's on them.

I work on the backend too with similar experience. The days of net nanny's like websense and what not are not being used too much. Perhaps it speaks to the industries we are in. I used to work in financials but these days, I will only work for a tech companies (and we are pretty lax and have much more autonomy).

Message 21 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

If it is your laptop knock yourself out.

If it is a corporate laptop anything you do on it is theirs, regardless if you think they are watching or not if using it for stuff you would prefer your boss not knowing about, don't.

Frankly I don't understand the wear and tear argument anyway, it is not a car rusting out.  Computers last decades other than accidents and just getting too slow.

Most companies could care less and don't want to cyber nanny your laptop.

As for older laptops, with more and more applications being published on the cloud or hosted by your company's infrastructure, the need for refreshes of laptops becomes less and less unless you code on your own machine, do graphics, are a gamer, etc..

Probably half of the places I've been (and I've been at over 30 different places) cared, and I was one of the ones care and feeding those systems.

I think it's far more prevalant than you think it is, I have no need to cyber nanny anyone's laptop that's somewhat new technology in the grand scheme of things, nor do I need your browser history... you go through my pipe, if I (or my boss cares) I know what you're up to even if I can't see the specific data because of encryption, the IP headers are not in most environments (those using IPSEC or MACSEC internally not withstanding but that's a really small population and those that do, are monitoring your desktop fo sho), it's that simple.

End of the day there are potentially employment and even legal ramifications for using a work laptop for anything not directly related to performing your job at that place of employment.  Anyone not heeding that, it's on them.

I work on the backend too with similar experience. The days of net nanny's like websense and what not are not being used too much. Perhaps it speaks to the industries we are in. I used to work in financials but these days, I will only work for a tech companies (and we are pretty lax and have much more autonomy).

This will be my last post on this, but net nannies like Websense?  It's a dinosaur, nobody with a clue uses it anymore because there are better ways of getting the same data without the totally intrusive nature of such an application.

Unless you personally are the one configuring or auditing the infrastructure for a given company, I would be very leery of making a blanket statement like that for any corporate entity let alone a whole sector.

Ultimately people here are adults and they can make their own decisions, but there are absolutely consquences to using a work / corporate asset for personal stuff potentially, and I just don't have enough faith in humanity to count on the benevolence of organizations.  The data is there, if they want to look at it they can, I can't make it any more explicit than that.

        
Message 22 of 27
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I can tell you, we don't really care what you do on your laptop unless it's illegal and yes I know the technology is there. I work for a Fortune 500 company and consult for a Fortune 50 as an affiliate. It really isn't worth an argument, like I said, different industries care about different things. It's not part of our work culture. 

Message 23 of 27
iced
Valued Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

I can tell you, we don't really care what you do on your laptop unless it's illegal and yes I know the technology is there. I work for a Fortune 500 company and consult for a Fortune 50 as an affiliate. It really isn't worth an argument, like I said, different industries care about different things. It's not part of our work culture. 

WAF/Websense/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is absolutely still very much a thing in large corporations, and especially finance. Anyone who's dealing with sensitive, confidential, or regulated information is more or less required by law to have such technologies in place. It's not about keeping employees from doing illegal/nonproductive things (although some enterprises still very much do content enforcement), it's about protecting assets from compromise by blocking sites with malware, preventing email/web forms from being sent that contain internal/protected information, and obscuring employee IPs from sites that seek to track such things. Directed geolocation is also a service this solves that some enterprises value.

Tech companies often use it as DLP as an added layer to protect from leaking source code.

Many end-users and even IT staff don't see it because it's been moved from on-prem into the cloud, or agents have become all-in-ones with DLP, antimalware, and other security technologies rolled into one.

Message 24 of 27
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

^^that is an entirely different argument than what I was saying. I'm talking about your personal internet usage on your work laptop. 

and yes, I mentioned on Financial Institutions operate on different guidelines. Anyways, we digressed enough from the original topic. 

Message 25 of 27
iced
Valued Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

^^that is an entirely different argument than what I was saying. I'm talking about your personal internet usage on your work laptop. 

and yes, I mentioned on Financial Institutions operate on different guidelines. Anyways, we digressed enough from the original topic. 

Same tools, though. Websense and other WAFs have evolved. My point is that "net nannies like Websense" ARE used a ton, just not necessarily for the same things they used to be used for.

Message 26 of 27
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@iced wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

Same tools, though. Websense and other WAFs have evolved. My point is that "net nannies like Websense" ARE used a ton, just not necessarily for the same things they used to be used for.

Right. I'm agreeing with you here, I am saying, the companies I work for, we generally don't care about end users doing things like surfing on their laptop. We do care about security more than ever, which is what you are alluding to. I KNOW they are used a ton as I have often been the one administering or deploying them. I have about 15 years in sys admin experience, 5 in consulting, & a couple in architect level role, and currently solely working on projects as an implementor (mostly private cloud and Azure).

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.