Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Public Data Bankrupt

tag
Zosimus
Regular Contributor

National Public Data Bankrupt

If you're like me, some of your personal information may have been leaked in the National Public Data breach that leaked some 2.7 billion records including 272 million unique Social Security Numbers.

The company has filed for bankruptcy so if you were hoping to be part of a class action suit getting you credit monitoring... it doesn't seem likely that anybody will see a dime.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: National Public Data Bankrupt

I think it's safe to assume at this point that all of our data is floating around on the dark web.  I know I've been party to at least three separate data breaches.  Better just to assume it's a done deal and do your due diligence to protect yourself.  

Message 2 of 5
crystal626
Regular Contributor

@LakeLife wrote:

I think it's safe to assume at this point that all of our data is floating around on the dark web.  I know I've been party to at least three separate data breaches.  Better just to assume it's a done deal and do your due diligence to protect yourself.  

Consider yourself fortunate if that's all. This is just one of my email addresses put in to haveibeenpwned.

image.png

At least Bitwarden reports none of my current passwords have been breached. I get notified of new breaches frequently though. It's ridiculous. Recently a lot of my medical providers have been breached so that's fun.

Message 3 of 5
Zosimus
Regular Contributor

I use LogMeOnce for my passwords. They're all something like xD^(4)Kyd!%nYzQ

If one gets hacked... it doesn't matter... all the rest are different.

Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Bad news for consumers all around, as everyone's data will be viewed as an "asset" of the company, to likely be sold as part of liquidation. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.