cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Shoppers Love Rewards Credit Cards. Retailers Hate Them.

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 'Merchants want the right to reject some rewards credit cards'

@wasCB14 wrote:

Maybe there will be a trend of people seeking downgrades to Visa and MC Platinum.

It's not clear to me if the potential discrimination would be more by tier or by issuer.

I think it's by tier, the rates are set by said tier of card (Visa Signature for example).

It'd certainly be interesting to me, vis a vis my Amazon Prime card is a Siggy, but the store card is not.  That's an easy swap, others like my FU is a Siggy .. non-trivial impact to the trifecta if it gets excluded, and not sure it's that much use to me with a sub 5K CL if that's what it takes: not sure what my tax payments really look like anymore.

ETA: ah hell most of my cards are Siggy now, how things change over time: my replacement Fido came in a new type seemingly as is the QS... I still clearly remember when virtually none of my cards were.

        
Message 11 of 24
busted2
New Contributor

What will happen is the savings will slowly be strictly one sided and anti-consumer.

(imo)

Message 12 of 24
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

It would be quite a credit appacolypse if that happened, as the way I see it a few things would change over time:

1. The retailers would refuse to accept specific cards, and initially the consumer would refuse to shop there and go elsewhere with the rewards card.
  2.  Then, instead of many of us posting and searching for the best SUB and cards with the most rewards for the dollar, we will be posting and searching for 'The neutral one-stop-shop' card that works anywhere.
  3. Finally, as mentioned earlier, the purpose of utilizing cards for so much spend would be moot as you wouldn't earn nearly enough rewards to be worthwhile long-term, due to the card not being accepted.
  4. Even further down the road, the retailers would ultimately loose the game of credit card discrimination because noone would have these cards and therefor may not have the available credit at all to make the large purchases.

Phew, what a thought.

Message 13 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

This is part of the fallout from the recent AMEX win in the Supreme Court. VISA and MC threw in the towel earlier, were also defendants in the States lawsuits. Now VISA and MC have to deal with merchant mutinies.

AMEX is the only network that has power over their merchants.

This may be behind AMEX’s recent increases in PRG rewards, and push to get more high-end cards in customers hands.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cred4All wrote:

It would be quite a credit appacolypse if that happened, as the way I see it a few things would change over time:

1. The retailers would refuse to accept specific cards, and initially the consumer would refuse to shop there and go elsewhere with the rewards card.
  2.  Then, instead of many of us posting and searching for the best SUB and cards with the most rewards for the dollar, we will be posting and searching for 'The neutral one-stop-shop' card that works anywhere.
  3. Finally, as mentioned earlier, the purpose of utilizing cards for so much spend would be moot as you wouldn't earn nearly enough rewards to be worthwhile long-term, due to the card not being accepted.
  4. Even further down the road, the retailers would ultimately loose the game of credit card discrimination because noone would have these cards and therefor may not have the available credit at all to make the large purchases.

Phew, what a thought.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if most people simply went back to cash or debit (with the occasional private label store card for major expenses) instead of even trying to worry about finding a CC that works everywhere.

Then again, people seemingly pay the credit surcharges at the gas stations around here, so /shrug.

Message 15 of 24
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

@Cred4All wrote:

Phew, what a thought.

I would even argue at that stage it would be a lose lose lose scenario. Nobody wins. Let's hope it doesn't get to that point.

Message 16 of 24
iv
Valued Contributor

@topgunvf wrote:

@Cred4All wrote:

I would even argue at that stage it would be a lose lose lose scenario. Nobody wins. Let's hope it doesn't get to that point.

I don't think anyone involved is seriously expecting card acceptance to actually fragment - it's that if the retailers have the option to threaten card issuers with the potential for fragmentation, then the swipe fees they pay will end up getting negotiated down.

(And then 2/3/5/6% card options will end up reduced or eliminated and/or APRs will go up.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 17 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

NBC News Says Major Retailers May Soon Stop Accepting Rewards Cards

NBC Nightly News just did a segment on the push by Amazon, Target, Home Depot and other major retailers to stop accepting those rewards credit cards that have the higher swipe fees.  NBC News implied that this might happen soon because some roadblock would be removed.  I didn't understand from the news report what that roadblock might be that is going away.  It sounds like some kind of deal with the Visa and MasterCard networks.  Does anybody know more?  I've read the earlier threads on this topic here and on Doctor of Credit.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NBC News Says Major Retailers May Soon Stop Accepting Rewards Cards

I haven’t seen anything new on this topic from the previous reports. 

I know personally, if they didn’t take my card.....I’d go somewhere else who would gladly take my card. 

Message 19 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: NBC News Says Major Retailers May Soon Stop Accepting Rewards Cards

Bump

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.