Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Collection Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Collection Question

Hello Everyone. I logged into "Mychart" a billing and appointment portal with the hospital in my area yesterday. After logging in I see that I have a outstanding bill from 2017 that was not completely paid by my insurance. It showed that it was in collections but I have NO collections reporting on any of my credit reports and I haven't heard from any Collection agencies. I was able to pay the bill in the portal yesterday and I did pay it in full. My Question is, Now that it is showing a $0 balance, is it still possible or likely to be reported on my credit report ? Has anyone paid a bill this way and still have it to report later ? ... Thank you all in advance.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Collection Question

If it was actually sent to collections it will be recalled, which will prevent the CA from adding it to your CR. Or, in the alternative give you the ammunition to dispute it off.
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know.. THANK YOU !!!

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also if it’s recalled and they’ve already placed the collection, CA is required to remove it by the CRA policies and manuals. And like I said if they don’t you dispute it off.

You may wanna read the following to learn more:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/General-Scoring-Primer-and-Version-8-Mas...
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

GREAT.. Thank you so much !!!

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

My pleasure
Message 6 of 26
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Actually,  it depends 

If your balance is showing $0.00, the account might be sold to CA vs. forwarding to CA for collections.

Main difference is, if sold, hospital cannot recall it because they sold it. It's not their account any longer. 

As far as using CA to continue with attempts to collect, recall is possible but not guaranteed depending on their contract with the hospital (yup, we contract with collection agencies).

Some contracts prohibit recall, because that means CA gets nothing, even if they had account for a while and put in an effort towards trying to get 

Your best (and reall, the only) bet is to contact hospital,  find out who is this account with, and pay it before it reports. 

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios OP already paid OC. They wouldn’t of accepted payment if they couldn’t recall it correct?
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plus I’m thinking it was in-house collections since it wasn’t reported yet.. Either way they accepted the payment so they should have to recall it. That’s what I’m thinking. I don’t see how they could not.

Please enlighten me if I’m missing something.
Message 9 of 26
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
@RemediosOP already paid OC. They wouldn’t of accepted payment if they couldn’t recall it correct?

Not necessarily 

We get patients calling and wanting to pay the bill after it's been sent to collections. 

If we still own the account, we can collect, and notify CA, because it's in our contract to do so. They want to get paid for their efforts, too.

If we collect, do not notify them, then recall, that's a breach of contract. 

We just cheated them out of the money. 

In OPs case, if it's not reporting by now, it probably never will. 

Should it report,  it would still be accurate, as long as balance reflects $0.00 owed, but I dont think that's going to happen. 

Possible reasons for not showing on report would include recent transfer of the account, or using internal collections department which is not the same as CA. 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.