cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Reward Lesson Learned

Highlighted

A Reward Lesson Learned

Not exactly a scoring related post but...

I'd recently purchased a product for a $1000+ dollars at a local reatailer. That purchase was made using this reatailer's branded Mastercard; pretty straight forward, so far. Couple weeks post purchase, I needed to return this item to that store; unfortunatel, that Mastercard that was used for the purchase transaction was 'Frozen' as it has been lost, stolen... whatever (it was eventually located). That said, since that Mastercard was inactive, the refunded amount of $1000+ dollars was credited back to a completely different credit card, in this case, a Capital One VISA. Still, pretty straight forward; no problems. Here's the catch; I noticed my 'Rewards' account that is part of that Capital One VISA credit card was dinged $12.** for the return credit even though the original purchase was not made on that account and there were $0.00 in points earned and or paid out from that original purchase. Making sense so far? Hope so. I'd contact customer service at CapOne and to my suprise I found out (learned) that any return credits applied to an account, at least in CapOne's case, auto-generate a deduction from ones rewards accounts, regardless of where that credit is coming from; in this case, from a entirely different bank.  So in the end here, there's no real loser as reward points were earned on the original credit care (the 'lost' one) and were deducted from the other card that had nothing to do with orignal purchase. If anything was lost, it was the 1% rewards points that were paid for the orignal purchase along side a $1.5% deduction from the CapOne card rewards account. Just an interesting (or not) credit card rewards related story. 

-Blame it on caffeine.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: A Reward Lesson Learned

Huh... thanks for sharing.  I never thought about how rewards would work in such a scenario, so good to know.   Thinking about it now, i imagine this is how it may work with many lenders, not just CapOne. 

And welcome to the forums, Chipper!

Personal Aphorism:
"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"

Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 05/2020: EX 780 ✦ EQ 758 ✦ TU 781
Current FICO 9s | 04/2020: EX 793 ✦ EQ 780 ✦ TU 778
2020 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA: 3.1 years not incl. AU / 3.5 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 7.3 years not incl. AU / 9.3 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 1/6 | 1/12 ✦ EQ 1/6 | 1/12 ✦ TU 1/6 | 1/12
Report Status: Clean

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Wow, that's good to know. Thanks for sharing your story. 

My Cards:

Profile Type: New, Thick, 100% Clean
INQ's: EQ: 0 TU: 1 EX: 3 (last 12 mo.)
Recent Accounts: 4 (last 24 mo.)
Total CL: 28.95k Util. 3% AAoA: 1yr, 8mo.
AoOA: 2 yrs, 8 mo. AoYA: 0 mo. 100% PIF.

myFICO Member since: July 21, 2018 | Joined Community: Aug. 17, 2018 | Starting Scores: EQ: 716 TU: 738 EX: 698
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I had the same problem: bought something using a random card then returned it to my amex BBP (lost 2x points)

I complained to amex but that got nowhere. It is really annoying.

Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); Amex Green (NPSL); HH Surpass (36.6k); Amex BBP (27k); B&H Payboo (25k); HSBC Premier WMC (14.5k); HSBC Advance (7.5k); Rakuten Visa (5k); Nordstrom Store (4k); Discover It (3k); Apple Card (2.5k); Amex Everyday (1k)
Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Inquiries: EX (27); TU (31); EQ (17)
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Yes thank you for sharing and welcome. I’ve never thought about that either but I guess it makes sense or people could just get in the rewards and do it serially.
-Our Community’s updated scoring wisdom: Link to Scoring Primer.
-For Negative Reason Codes see: CassieCard’s Score Factors thread.
-ccquest’s workbook to calculate metrics for you: Link to Workbook.

Oct 2020 New Account Scorecard.Nov 2020, No New Account Scorecard (reassignment conflated with aging. EX9 not updated yet. Oldest/avg varies. Estimates above.)
Real world mortgage maxes are: EQ5-818, TU4-839, EX2-844.

RIP:
(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forums

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted

Thanks.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.