Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AARP Visa through Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AARP Visa through Chase

Now why is Chase  asking the old timers @ AARP  for their net worth in order to get a credit card?  I checked my applications from Chase and there is no line that asks for net worth.  I would think this is being discriminatory.  My mom was rate-jacked by Chase AARP a few years ago.  She closed that account and told me the best way to get rid of credit card debt is just to PAY IT!!  Smiley Happy

As far as FICO goes, mom said she just read where FICO has been around 50 years and she never once looked up her credit score until I prompted her to do it in 2006.  Even now  she doesn't check her scores as she states she was doing better not checking them.  That she uses her credit when she needs to and if the available credit limit is there, she uses the part she needs and pays it off as soon as she can.    Her scores are in the 784 range with the lowest being 730 with TU.

SandyK
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AARP Visa through Chase

I wouldn't say this is discriminatory.. Chase is probably just basing the amount of approval based on net worth.. and not the approval itself. Even so.. Chase can base their appovals on whatever they want. They are not obligated to approve anyone for any reason.  
Message 2 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

My net worth.........priceless.

Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuscani,

Yes I understand Chase isn't  obligated to do anything really.  Just wondered why they would ask the net worth of the older generation and not everyone on their applications.   Nice way of asking "You sure you have enough to pay us if you die today or tomorrow?"   Instead of "You're how old?  We don't really want to give a card to someone over the age of 65 unless they have the money to pay us."

SandyK

Message Edited by sankofa on 05-26-2007 03:32 PM
Message 4 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

sankofa wrote:
Tuscani,

Yes I understand Chase isn't  obligated to do anything really.  Just wondered why they would ask the net worth of the older generation and not everyone on their applications.   Nice way of asking "You sure you have enough to pay us if you die today or tomorrow?"   Instead of "You're how old?  We don't really want to give a card to someone over the age of 65 unless they have the money to pay us."

SandyK

Message Edited by sankofa on 05-26-2007 03:32 PM

Let me preface this post by saying "chase stinks."Smiley Mad  If your applying for credit and are retired they might ask for net worth.  I believe its a question that address her capacity to pay rather than her character, seeing that she always pays on time.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused111,

Exactly! 

SandyK
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a possibility ... if the "net worth" question only appears on AARP-branded credit cards, it might have originated with AARP and not Chase. Perhaps the arrangement between AARP and Chase allows such information to be shared. AARP Services Inc. is a for-profit subsidiary that does marketing and I'm sure that net worth information would be useful for them in matching AARP members with product offers.

By the way, here's a semi-related story that's old but still funny:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE4D6153CF933A25751C1A964958260
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revike,

Could possibly be the case.  When Chase is involved, I dunno.  My husband has had no problems at all with them.  He did a balance transfer last year and when it ended, as promised Chase gave him a 8.99% APR. 

That was a funny story about Mr. Clayton!  Smiley Happy   Right on time with the AARP question LOL.  Thanks for sharing!  

SandyK
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.