Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Payments

tag
jandj
New Contributor

AMEX Payments

This may be a dumb question, but what the heck, here goes:

Since I got my AMEX Skymiles I have been using it like I normally would use my checkcard.  By this, I mean that I will charge gas, groceries, whatever else and record it in my checkbook as though I had paid cash.  My intention was to pay off the balance on a weekly basis.  Last week when I tried to pay though, it says there is no balance due and will not let me make a payment.  There is obviously an "outstanding balance", just no actual current balance due.  Will I only be able to make a payment on the AMEX once a month and will this make it look like I am always carrying a high balance?  I wanted to do this so that I could earn the airline miles on money that I would already be spending anyway.  I'm used to my Orchard Bank and Cap 1 cards that let you make payments whenever you want. 

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Payments

perhaps the new balance hasn't been posted yet. Other than that, I don't think there should be any restriction on # of payments you can make during the month..
Message 2 of 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Is this the first month you have used it?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 9
jandj
New Contributor

Yes, it is the first month but I have noticed the same thing on my AMEX corporate card (which I've only had for about 2 months).

Is everyone else able to make multiple payments?
Message 4 of 9
jandj
New Contributor

bump
Message 5 of 9
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

I had an AMEX Corporate Card and after the first billing month you can pay on it weekly if you desire as long as you have a balance showing.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

jandj wrote:
bump

speed bump?

Message 7 of 9
jandj
New Contributor

call it what you will....
Message 8 of 9
jandj
New Contributor

Is what I'm doing (charging up this card and then paying in full every month) going to hurt my score if I'm trying to buy a house in the next 3-4 months?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.