Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATT Internet Hard Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ATT Internet Hard Inquiry

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had gotten hits when applying for any ATT services without providing an SSN and just inputting your driver license? I also found out the hard way that even if you don't submit the complete order and just leave, it will still do a hard pull from your Credit report.

Quick overview of what happened:

1.) I added the Internet 100 to my cart

2.) Went to the cart overview

3.) Went to the information form and insert everything but my SSN, i checked the box to use my Driver License instead

4.) Went to the payment method step to insert a card, but then decided to do it another time

Next day, I got a hard hit on my EQ. Anyone deal with ATT and fought to have it removed or what did they do (besides disputing to EQ) to have it removed? Of course I'm upset that I got hit but when I called they said the system was "automatic".

Gerardo

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ATT Internet Hard Inquiry

Yes and I am still super angry (I really wanted to say it differently)...lol...Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have seen this as well. I promised myself never EVER to deal with these folks again. And I will not. Good luck, you should be able to get it off, but not without effort. They are the worst company ever. They still owe me money ...

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had gotten hits when applying for any ATT services without providing an SSN and just inputting your driver license? I also found out the hard way that even if you don't submit the complete order and just leave, it will still do a hard pull from your Credit report.

Quick overview of what happened:

1.) I added the Internet 100 to my cart

2.) Went to the cart overview

3.) Went to the information form and insert everything but my SSN, i checked the box to use my Driver License instead

4.) Went to the payment method step to insert a card, but then decided to do it another time

Next day, I got a hard hit on my EQ. Anyone deal with ATT and fought to have it removed or what did they do (besides disputing to EQ) to have it removed? Of course I'm upset that I got hit but when I called they said the system was "automatic".

Gerardo

Hi Gerardo.  Here are a few thoughts.

(a) The best way to get this solved is for the creditor to "re-code" the inquiry from being "hard" to being "soft."  Contributor RobertEG may be able to tell you more about that.  Any creditor can do this in principle as long as that creditor submitted the inquiry.

(b) Although that is the best solution, and is totally doable, expect that a typical customer service rep will be unfamiliar with it, and therefore it may be difficult to get it done.

(c) Remember that this is one inquiry that is affecting only one bureau and it will stop having an any effect on your score in one year.  Even now the scoring effect is small, maybe 5 points. 

Because of (c) spend a bit of time thinking about how pursuing this relatively minor issue's correction will affect you: emotionally, blood pressure, etc.  You were not responsible for it happening.  You will be responsible if you end up having a series of calls that make you furious -- responsible because you chose to fight with ATT about this.  I have slowly learned that, on a fairly minor issue, it's best for me to count to ten and let things go whenever the alternative is having huge amounts of frustration and rage (all in pursuit of being Right).  Note that the others on the thread have indeed experienced tremendous anger trying to fix a thing like this and you need to weigh that carefully.  Compare letting it go and watching a movie vs. two 45 minute calls that may go nowhere. 

That said, if you have a lot of skill at not getting stressed when you try to get a thing like this fixed, then feel free to go for it.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah was just wondering who else this happened to, I'll give it a shot and see what I can do on getting it removed. At least im not alone! Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey CreditGuyInDixie,

Thanks for the pointers on this. I called and of course got the run around, I understand that particular rep couldn't do anything, although a bit tense but mainly respectful with the representatives as its not their fault, and even mentioned that to her (the ATT Rep), then gave the information, names, employee IDs of the people who gave me conflicting information which gave me the confidence to even start the application (without submitting it).

Overall, except with the call of 30 minutes that I've spent, in terms of stress and such, there is none, its not even about the hard inquiry that got me tense a bit, mainly the ethical idea behind that they hit and run basically lol. And I totally agree with you on dealing with issues like these and knowing what to pursue, minor issues are not worth the health issues.. same as when workaholics work so much only to end up in the hospital and having their savings put towards their medical bills.

Thanks again for the information, glady appreciate it!

-G

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah i know... but waiting 2 years isn't so bad is it? hahaha

Message 7 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

First and foremost, they did have a permissible purpose under FCRA 604 to pull your credit report, so there is no disputable inaccuracy in the posting to your credit report.

A consumer inititiated business transaction that has an associated legitimate business need to review your credit is a clear permissible purpose that needs no express consumer approval, and can be coded as hard..

Parties do not need an SSN to obtain your credit report.  While a supposedly uniique personal identifier is preferred, SSN is nowhere listed as a requirement to obtain a credit report.

I concur that the proper procedure would be to contact them and attempt to have it recoded as soft, but that is purely discretionary on their part.

I would not recommend a dispute, as their is no innacuracy in their reporting.

Credit inquiries are only included in FICO scoring for one year, and even then, it is not a major scoring factor.

Message 8 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I once called up AT&T to see about their phone plans , was with Tmobile at the time, and ended up with a hp from them . Wont ever go to AT&T , its off my reports now but that one still draws my ire todaySmiley Wink
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I once called up AT&T to see about their phone plans , was with Tmobile at the time, and ended up with a hp from them . Wont ever go to AT&T , its off my reports now but that one still draws my ire todaySmiley Wink

Eeek.. thats what I mean.. that pull it when you think you're just asking for info or not even half way through the order. Overall it bothers me ethically that they do a HP for something as simple as calling about a phone plans, but whatever, ill do what I can, but i certainly won't lose sleep over it. Lesson learned lol.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.