Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AZEO

tag
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

AZEO

I find AZEO too time consuming. Sometimes I feel to let all balances report and then pay in full after statement cut. Current overall utilization is <1%
   My question is: would It be a problem letting 5cards out of 9 total report a balance without Lenders(in my signature) being spooked? I won't be applying until next year that I renew my car lease.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: AZEO

If you have many cards reporting a balance it will trip a risk flag on your credit reports. i know this because it happened to me.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 17
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@SUPERSQUID That's what concerns me, because I recently added 2 new lines and scores dropped significantly but still on the green zone. 
   What would you consider *too many balances* under lender's eyes?

Message 3 of 17
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:

@SUPERSQUID That's what concerns me, because I recently added 2 new lines and scores dropped significantly but still on the green zone. 

People on this forum obsess over AZEO too much most of the time. 

I have cards from 4 of the 6 lenders you have and frequently let half my cards report a balance and have had no issues. 

For me, as long as my utilization is low I don't think lenders care much about the number of accounts with a balance even though the FICO algorithm docks a few points for it.

Plus I personally believe that by letting my actual spend be reported it increases the CLI (and SL) I get as lenders try to coax me into using their card instead 

Message 4 of 17
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:

I'm not sure what the threshold is but i had a small balance on a lot of different cards. also high amounts owed on loans can trip that red flag.

BTW - I never had the patience for that AZEO system

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 17
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@SUPERSQUID I am tempted to convert my BCE into BCP and let my other cards rest on subscriptions. 

Message 6 of 17
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Unless you plan to apply for something big, AZE0 isn't worth the effort.

If you are going to apply for a mortgage, it matters!

Otherwise, its not worth worrying about...  and no, none of your existing lenders care if EVERY single account reports with a balance.  If you start maxing them out, they'll care...

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 7 of 17
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Unless you plan to apply for something big, AZE0 isn't worth the effort.

If you are going to apply for a mortgage, it matters!

Otherwise, its not worth worrying about...  and no, none of your existing lenders care if EVERY single account reports with a balance.  If you start maxing them out, they'll care...

I tend to agree with this for the most part.  I have 10 cards, which most have specific cashback purposes. Monthly, the balances I keep on each card applies to that specific cashback category and nothing else goes on that card. So usually about 6-7 of my cards report balances anywhere between $50-450 depending on the level of spend for that category.  I have all of my statements set to cut between the 1st-5th of each month, so when all of them cut they are PIF, rinse and repeat for the next month.

If I know I plan to apply for a new CC (or if my CLI cycle is coming up), I will plan a couple months ahead to pay balances down before statements cut and go to AZEO, in order to optimize my scores for approval chances. But I don't apply for new cards often (currently 16 mths in the Garden) so I'm able to plan easier than those who apply for new cards every 3-4 months.

But there's really no purpose for optimizing AZEO every single month unless you are just absolutely OCD about seeing your scores at their peak every month.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 8 of 17
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Taurus22 Thanks for the info, and you may be right about the OCD thing. I like seeing AZEO on Mint app everyday; ended up converting to Amex BCP to get some peace; that and citi dc is all I need. Shopping doesn't happen often, traveling in my dreams only.

cheers

Yassel

Message 9 of 17
calyx
Super Contributor

All but one* of my accounts report "naturally," which is to say that I pay the statement balance of all of my cards** on the 27th of each month regardless of whether or not there are more charges (I get paid once a month and it's just easier for me to pay everything that day and not stress when the actual due dates are for my cards).  MOST months, I have 8 cards reporting, but it can vary between 7-10 reporting depending on the quarters and what card I've used for what.   I've never had any creditors get spooked.  I even let a 95% utilization card post (for funsies) and no one seemed too upset about it.  I keep my overall revolving Utilization 2-6% and I have two loans that are both ~50% (so also ~50 agg).

AZEO is a waste of time IMO, and I would only consider it if I need my mortgage scores to be maximized (FICO2 in the case of applying for something with a bank that uses it, or I might consider it if I ever got an actual mortgage).   I definitely think it is over emphasized on the forums.   If you need that kind of control over your spending/bills, that's fine, or need to eke out every point possible for a special application - I just don't think it should be recommended as much as it is.    I think most people need to focus on budgeting and keeping a savings account funded for emergencies over AZEO, but this is myFICO not r/PersonalFinance.   I honestly think that if you let them report 'naturally' (like the 8-10 accounts, I do), then they're less likely to "mind" when one reports high.

Exceptions:
* USB reports the balance on the last business day of the month, so I just pay the whole statement.  It's used for 2 recurring bills, so it's on autopay and other than one miscellaneous charge that happened on the last business day (I bought a tshirt at the gym), is almost always reports 0
** I have one 0% card that I'm riding out that's on autopay, so that one isn't PIFed, but has negligible impact at 720/25000, honestly.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.