Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant CU discontinuing Share Secure loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alliant CU discontinuing Share Secure loans

For a person who doesn't mind one hard pull at Equifax, an Alliant $500 unsecured loan is probably the best choice, since I am guessing that you can pay it to $33 and keep it open for $60 months.

Do we have any confirmation of this? Also, any idea what scores a person would need to qualify for an unsecured loan?

Message 81 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

No confirmations yet, but the broader community here would be grateful I am sure if you'd give it a go.

Message 82 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No confirmations yet, but the broader community here would be grateful I am sure if you'd give it a go.

I would love to but I doubt I would have income that would qualify me for the loan. I'm a full time student and work two jobs on campus but they are paid in grant money not a normal paycheck. I will inquire but I don't think it's an option for me. 

Message 83 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow that's what I get for not really being on here for about the last month. I opened the savings with Alliant but hestitated on the loan.

Message 84 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow that's what I get for not really being on here for about the last month. I opened the savings with Alliant but hestitated on the loan.

@Anonymous AltCtrl.  Here is something I just said to contributor BillHarrell last night.  Like you, he also joined Alliant, delayed a tiny bit on pulling the SSL trigger, and now is looking for a solution.  I wrote:

Bill, you could be a big help to the community here if you would take a $500 unsecured loan with Alliant.  The SSL technique should be basically the same with an unsecured loan as with a secured loan -- take it out, pay it to $44 on Month 1, etc.  The interest will be higher but that should not matter since your principal ($44) is tiny.

The only drawback is the hard pull, but the benefit of the technique (+30 points on all three scores) compensates you for the inquiry impact (minus 5 to only one bureau).

AltCtrl.... would you be willing to try this idea out for us?

Message 85 of 102
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for Alliant yet ?

I’m looking for a installment loan to add to my reports.
I don’t mind being a guinea pig, but I can’t open an account with Alliant. I tried to open an account with them. So if anyone has any other solutions. I don’t mind calling and getting something setup.

Have a Chex systems negative from 4 years and 10 months ago.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 86 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

No suitable replacement yet.  I am working on that and hope to create a discussion thread by the end of this week to make the Quest For a New Alliant a group effort.

Message 87 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted them today about a getting a secured loan at all and they told me they do hard pulls on every app now. 

Message 88 of 102
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

Question: In terms of the "next best thing," is there a CU or a bank which is offering a secure installment product which ***appears to meet perhaps most  but not all of the ideal criteria that Allient met?

Thanks!!

Message 89 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I contacted them today about a getting a secured loan at all and they told me they do hard pulls on every app now. 

Did you mean Alliant is doing hard pulls on every app now? Just loan apps or even simple membership?

Message 90 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.