Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost at 800, after 3 years!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost at 800, after 3 years!

3 years ago I decided to get a credit card to begin building my score. I had no prior history. My parents thought it was a bad idea.

Today, my fico 8 experian score is 794! That's almost over the 800 mark!!

2-7-2017 fico score.png

I just had to share. I did it all while living in a vehicle on very low income. This score is a personal proof to myself that I'm responsible, even when people think I don't have my life together.

Just had to share!

Thanks FicoForums for all your awesome info, I wouldn't be doing nearly this well if I hadn't read all the great threads here on how to do it. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Almost at 800, after 3 years!

@Anonymous wrote:

3 years ago I decided to get a credit card to begin building my score. I had no prior history. My parents thought it was a bad idea.

Today, my fico 8 experian score is 794! That's almost over the 800 mark!!

2-7-2017 fico score.png

I just had to share. I did it all while living in a vehicle on very low income. This score is a personal proof to myself that I'm responsible, even when people think I don't have my life together.

Just had to share!

Thanks FicoForums for all your awesome info, I wouldn't be doing nearly this well if I hadn't read all the great threads here on how to do it. Smiley Happy

Pretty impressive...Congrats on your journey...I know I will get there one of these days. Thanks for sharing this!

Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thats great Batsy! Very inspiring, wish you the bestSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
stellar
Established Contributor

Good for you Batsy!  You're clearly a very strong and smart person!  Kudos!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 9
Adidas
New Contributor

Congrats! Would you mind posting your AAoA, oldest account age, newest account age, etc. I'm curious what it takes to reach that level!

FICO 08:743 EQ Bankcard from Citi, 764 EX from AmEx, 747 TU from Disc all updated 8/2017

Discover It $8,600 Since 08/2014 // AmEx BCE $23,100 Since 10/2015 // Citi DC $7,000 Since 06/2016 // BoA BBR $1,800 Since 11/2016 // US Bank Cash+ $3,000 Since 11/2016
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Adidas wrote:

Congrats! Would you mind posting your AAoA, oldest account age, newest account age, etc. I'm curious what it takes to reach that level!

Sure!

AAoA is 1 Year, 5 months.

Account ages are as follows:

• BECU credit card - 3 years. CL is $750 by my initial request (they told me to name a number and I had no idea what to say!). Got a rewards card with them with zero credit history, possibly because I had a lifelong relationship with them.
  • REI card through US Bank - 1 Year, 8 months, 1k CL
  • AmEx BCE card - 1 Year 4 months, 15K limit (!!!)
  • Alliant Credit Union share secured loan - 1 year
  • Chase Freedom Unlimited - 4 months, $3,500 CL

I saw the biggest change happen soon after I added the Alliant loan and it had aged a few months. Then after I got the recent Chase FU, my score has been going up higher than ever the past 2 months consecutively.

My plan is to try to get just 1 credit card per year from here on out for a while. Since I'm currently not allowed to save (stupid government regulations) the 0% interest-free period serves as my safety net for emergencies instead of savings. I typically time the new card bonuses along with paying a year's worth of car insurance at a time, for the discount and to hit the bonus without spending more than I normally do.

So far I've managed to avoid app sprees, though I've been awfully tempted.

Hope that helps!

Message 7 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

That is so awesome!  "My parents thought it was a bad idea." lol, I bet it was nice to prove them wrong this time... and you have.  Are your scores better than theirs now?

I can only wish I had a place like this when I got my first card. A charged off $300 cap1 back in the day  Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 9
Adidas
New Contributor

Thanks! Inspirational for others with thin files!
FICO 08:743 EQ Bankcard from Citi, 764 EX from AmEx, 747 TU from Disc all updated 8/2017

Discover It $8,600 Since 08/2014 // AmEx BCE $23,100 Since 10/2015 // Citi DC $7,000 Since 06/2016 // BoA BBR $1,800 Since 11/2016 // US Bank Cash+ $3,000 Since 11/2016
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.