Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always enroll in Overdraft Protection??

tag
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

Always enroll in Overdraft Protection??

Just got my first overdraft protection fee charges-- 2 actually. Thus, I was wondering if it is always better to enroll in some form of overdraft protection (given that the bank does not charge you for doing so and that you pay off any overdraft amounts the day after to avoid interest fees)??

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Always enroll in Overdraft Protection??

That's a call that you have to make.  Better is always highly subjective.  I'm very careful but I still prefer to have overdraft protection.  YMMV.

@SportBike4Life wrote:

given that the bank does not charge you for doing so and that you pay off any overdraft amounts the day after to avoid interest fees

I don't have to pay anything unless I exceed the balance in my savings account since it is used for overdraft protection.  That's the other thing -- "overdraft protection" covers a number of options.

Message 2 of 8
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Normally banks will offer the option of refusing / returning overdrafts (Refusal if you are using a debit card at a POS terminal) or allowing them either with a backup account as stated above or with a fee and expecting you to make it right. How you want to do it is a matter of personal preference, but you should probably sit down with one of your bank CSR's to make sure you understand what you are getting into.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 8
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

id say if you have a sizeable amount in savings and they dont charge you to do it, opt in for at least that protection. that way you get the best of both worlds. my cap1 360 checking let me have an overdraft line of credit, if i use it they charge me a nominal fee and usually its offset by the interest they pay anyway.

some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 4 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have a USBank CC which I use for overdraft protection.  One month when my company screwed up my salary payment is saved me a whole bunch of charges!

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use a line of credit to cover any potential overdraft. I could use a credit card or a savings account too. Personal choice but I like knowing that there is a backup.
Message 6 of 8
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Its like having a hard hat, you dont need it till ya bump your head.

Personally, I use it.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

My bank gives automatic overdraw protection depending on the type of account you have.  No CC or another account is needed.  What surprised me is they don't even do credit checks.

The amounts range from $400 to $1000.  They do charge $17 each transaction.  Still not as bad as some that are $35.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.