cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Charge Cards Reporting as Credit Card?

tag
Budoka
New Contributor

American Express Charge Cards Reporting as Credit Card?

I just noticed that both my AMEX Platinum and Gold Cards are now reporting as "Credit Card" to the CB's and indicate the "Credit Limit" as the current balance(s) on the card(s). I PIF every month so assuming that means the reported limited is fluctuating but I only just recently noticed this so not sure.

Is this something new or a mistake that I should contact their credit department about? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TampaBAY86
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express Charge Cards Reporting as Credit Card?

Charge cards will be listed with credit cards, but the terms will be listed as 1 month.  It should not be included in your utilization.  My Amex Gold is listed with the statement balance and a credit limit of $0.

Message 2 of 7
Sloedough
Regular Contributor

Different sites display Amex credit limits differently. It's just a display.

To be a bit more technical. Charge cards report a 0 credit limit (true because they are "charge" cards). Now a 0 will cause a divide by zero error when calculating usage. The formula is: (balance * 100) / credit limit. So for a charge card the formula would be (500 * 100) / 0 which equals infinity.

Therefore, mathematically, charge cards can not be used to calculate your total utilization.

Message 3 of 7
Budoka
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Budoka wrote:

I just noticed that both my AMEX Platinum and Gold Cards are now reporting as "Credit Card" to the CB's and indicate the "Credit Limit" as the current balance(s) on the card(s). I PIF every month so assuming that means the reported limited is fluctuating but I only just recently noticed this so not sure.

Is this something new or a mistake that I should contact their credit department about? 

Don't feel bad they did that to me a few months ago when I made a $1000 purchase and didn't pay it off in a month.  I did the pay over time thing so they actually reported as a "new credit card" when I got the card probably 7 month earlier.   I think they do this if you do not pay off completely and you do the pay over time

Message 5 of 7
Budoka
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Budoka wrote:

Don't feel bad they did that to me a few months ago when I made a $1000 purchase and didn't pay it off in a month.  I did the pay over time thing so they actually reported as a "new credit card" when I got the card probably 7 month earlier.   I think they do this if you do not pay off completely and you do the pay over time

Ah. That might be it.  I PIF every month but last month I did get a notification stating that POT was "now activated" on my card. I didn't ask for it but guess they are forcing it on everyone now.

Message 6 of 7
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

That is not normal. You need to contact the Credit Reporting department of Amex and have them contact Experian for you to correct the issue. The "credit limit" should be empty because Amex doesn't tell them that. It is experian, and it'll just be a factor in your utilization even though it shouldn't. I had this happened to me and Amex contacted Experian and everything was fixed within one month. 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.