Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex has a different Fico 8 Score

tag
DLynn1920
Established Member

Amex has a different Fico 8 Score

Hi! This is my VERY FIRST post to the forum. I am very much interested in rebuilding my credit. I have one card with Amex, the Delta SkyMiles Blue card (approved 12/2021). I asked for a limit increase (6/2022) and was denied based on my fico score. Mind you this score got me approved in the first place. But never the less, in the Amex App, I check my score, and it is 15 points lower. And according to Amex, it is their Fico 8 score they use for approvals.  This low score is hurting my chances of growing with Amex. What is happening?  

thank you in advance for your help.

VantageScore 3.0 in July 2021:

FICO 8 scores as of Sept 14, 2022:

Goal Cards:

28 REPLIES 28
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex has a different Fico 8 Score

Welcome to the forums!! Amex uses scores that may be a couple months old. A fresh pull costs lenders money, many will use an older copy they have on you. Always plan on that when you plan to ask for CLI. The most recent score you see in app is pulled once a month. You'll see the date.

I see you're rebuilding. If there's any derogs showing, Amex may not give a CLI until file is clean. 😊 

Message 2 of 29
DLynn1920
Established Member

That's helpful information.  Thank you for that and the warm welcome Smiley Very Happy

I am rebuilding my credit, and the scores I have now after cleaning up my credit report. The only derogatory account I have left is my fed student loan (that's a fight in itself). 

Goal Cards:

Message 3 of 29
FISHintheTank
Valued Member

I'm wondering why your scores are lower than mine. I have 7 collections a repo and a bunch of late payments. All are 5-6 years old. I do have a 2% Utilization. Is there something that dragged your scores down?

Message 4 of 29
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

AMEX's free credit score is Vantage on their website. Not FICO. Apps are pulled from FICO yes. Theres your difference.

Message 5 of 29
DLynn1920
Established Member

@FISHintheTank wrote:

I'm wondering why your scores are lower than mine. I have 7 collections a repo and a bunch of late payments. All are 5-6 years old. I do have a 2% Utilization. Is there something that dragged your scores down?

I have only one baddie on my CR and it is MAJOR, a charged-off student loan, and an AAOA at 1yr 1mo. I started with a 533 score one year ago. I'm rebuilding after a bankruptcy dropping off my credit report. 

Goal Cards:

Message 6 of 29
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

AMEX's free credit score is Vantage on their website. Not FICO. Apps are pulled from FICO yes. Theres your difference.

No, they provide an EX FICO 8 as well:

Screenshot_20220716-095718_Amex.jpg

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 29
JM427
Contributor

Amex actually supplies both.  The Fico score is a little harder to find in the app and the web account screen whereas the vantage version is almost front and center when you log in.

FICO8 Scores as of 2020 JULY 14:

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 3:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 3:
Message 8 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

They have both Vantage and FICO scores on the website.

To access FICO score:

Account Services > Profile > View FICO Score

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 29
DLynn1920
Established Member

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

No, they provide an EX FICO 8 as well:

Screenshot_20220716-095718_Amex.jpg

could you please tell me how you added the photo, because I can show how Amex and Experian have two different scores for the same date.

Goal Cards:

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.